Feeling Homesick: Here’s When You Should Call Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We go off to college to become adults. It’s often our first real taste of independence. But often, as we step out into the “real world” we are forced to realize that we aren’t quite ready to face it all alone. As teenagers, we probably all made comments about how we couldn’t wait to leave home, how our parents don’t accept that we are grown up, etc. However, as you adjust to life in a shabby-chic dorm room, it’s okay to say that you miss home or that you need help. It’s not a sign of weakness to admit it! Here is a list of reasons why you should call home:

1.You had a good day

Whether or not they admit it, your parents are worrying about whether or not you’re happy at college—not just if you’re succeeding academically there. Just give them a five-minute update about what is making you happy in college!

2.You had a bad day

Need to rant? Got a bad grade on a test or some guy treat you wrong? Call your mom and just vent about it! Consider it a free therapy session. Just talking about problems and getting them off your chest to someone who isn’t directly involved in the situation can help you push past all of the negative emotions and get back to focusing on the positives of college again!

3.You need help

If you try really hard, you can figure most adult things out on your own. But sometimes, the “how-to’s” on the internet just don’t cut it. Save yourself time and frustration and just call your parents instead. I’m not saying they should do everything for you, but there’s nothing wrong for asking for help occasionally!

4.You just want to talk to them

No one is going to judge you for missing your home. Even if you absolutely love college and wouldn’t change a thing about it, it’s totally fine to admit that there are moments when you get a little homesick!

Enjoy your freedom and newfound adulthood, with all its unprecedented opportunities for greatness and failure. Just don’t forget, whether you have the world on a string or the world on your shoulders, that you are not alone. Your parents are only one phone call away, and they’d love to hear from you. 

Images from Pexels.com

Allison Rathert

Virginia Tech '19

Allison is Criminology Major at Virginia Tech, also minoring in Business and National Security & Foreign Affairs. She is obsessed with coffee, chocolate, old movies, writing, photography, animals, and spontaneous adventures!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!