This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

A year filled with historically devastating events is finally coming to a close. With a global pandemic, unimaginable damage done by wildfires, hurricanes and droughts, an equality movement, an election and more, this year has been utterly exhausting, to say the least. Everyday inconveniences seem to weigh and burden us so much more than they would have if we weren’t all dealing with a global pandemic and the tensions of such a divided society simultaneously. 

Although 2020 will notoriously go down in history as an “annus horribilis”, we have to keep an optimistic mindset to keep some sort of hope. With that, we should also actively be making steps towards a fresh start in 2021. 

Each year, we tell ourselves that the beginning of the year will be a chance to start over. Surely, we will take advantage of that with the opportunity to rid ourselves of the bad luck this year has brought so many of us. But starting fresh doesn’t have to start on January 1st. Start now, and keep working on it all the time. There is no time like the present. Why waste any of the precious time that we do have? 

goals, coffee, notebook
Photo by Estée Janssens from Unsplash

Mantras each day serve as a reminder to stay positive. Something that I have found to be helpful is to take a moment each day to note the things that I am grateful for, things or people that make you love and reasons to be happy. It has genuinely been a great way for me to stay positive throughout the year.   

Keeping a resolution this year will be a fabulous way to start fresh and provide ourselves with the mindset that the upcoming year will be filled with great things. Make a commitment to yourself and your happiness. 

Find something you are passionate about, work on that and enjoy the fruits of your labor. It could be a hobby, a project to help others, or maybe even an aim to work on your health. Working on something that brings you happiness and purpose will certainly be a good thing. 

Remove yourself from toxic relationships, including friends. Significant others aren’t the only people that we can have toxic relationships with. The energy you surround yourself with does influence us and negative energy isn’t something any of us need. 

Stop unnecessary actions that are mentally and physically exhausting. Don’t put all of your energy into work. Make time for you. Start prioritizing yourself, your well-being. Self-care isn’t selfish, and you should be doing it often, whatever ways are best for you. 

Person in a bathtub with lemons and herbs reading
Photo by Taryn Elliot from Pexels

Keep an open mind for what might lay ahead, don’t let the fear of the unknown get you down. Plans change, and what you hope for doesn’t always work out, and that is okay. 

Whatever works for you to stay positive and end this year right is up to you. These were just a few ways that work for me. With the struggles to stay upbeat, we have all been faced with this year, making an effort to finish strong and happy are so important. 

Enjoying the small things, finding ways to be grateful and happy with what we have is more important than ever. That is a thought to carry into the year to come and years after that.

What is beyond ourselves and our control must be left to the universe. Do your best to stay safe and healthy, happy and successful and things will undoubtedly fall into place as they should. 

Eva Cregger

Virginia Tech '20

An old soul with modern views of the world that loves movies, music, traveling and anything sweet. Majoring in Communication Studies at Virginia Tech. I am a proud Hokie & HerCampus member
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!