This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

What better to do on a lonely Saturday night than cuddle up and watch Netflix, pretending to have the awesome life of one of our favorite characters on TV? Sounds better than any college party to us. With March being the month dedicated to women’s history since 1911, it seems perfect to take the time to recognize some of our favorite empowering woman characters from television. Ideally, these women would be powerful additions to our girl squads, with so many fearless qualities and enduring characteristics for great friendships. 

8. Tami Taylor from Friday Night Lights

If you’ve never seen Friday Night Lights, you definitely should. From giving great advice to always speaking her mind no matter who she’s talking to, you could say Tami Taylor is a character anybody would love and respect.

7. Monica Geller from Friends

Monica might not be the first person we think of when we think “empowering woman”, but her compassion for her friends is honorable. Not to mention, she’s hilarious.

6. Leslie Shay from Chicago Fire

Leslie is a strong female character in a male-dominated show, and if that doesn’t say empowering— what does? Plus, who wouldn’t want to have her as a friend?

5. Cristina Yang from Grey’s Anatomy

Let’s face it, Christina Yang is incredible. She has a sense of humor, the ability to speak the truth and all the necessary traits for maintaining lasting friendships. 

4. Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl

Blair is easily the sassiest TV character we’ve ever witnessed, and that makes her awesome. She doesn’t always come across as the greatest friend, but if you have her back — you can bet she has yours. 

3. Olivia Benson from Law and Order: SVU

Olivia Benson is one of the strongest female characters on television —hands down. The woman deals with horrible criminals every day, and she still maintains her composure. She makes detective work look like the dream life.

2. Olivia Pope from Scandal

Olivia is a behind-the-scenes political superstar and never asks for the credit she probably deserves. She’s the ideal, strong feminist character we all love to see.

1. Brooke Davis from One Tree Hill

Brooke Davis is our spirit animal, anybody else? She created a widely successful fashion empire and has the biggest heart of any TV character out there. We could watch the entire series of One Tree Hill over and over again, and this is mostly because of her.

Name: Kayla Gobble Year: Sophomore Major: Double major in Fashion Merchandising & Design, and Psychology Email: kgobble@vt.edu
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!