Wellness

6 Ways to Support National Eating Disorders Awareness Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

National Eating Disorders Awareness Week takes place during February 26th through March 4th. According to NationalEatingDisorders.org, 30 million Americans suffer from advanced eating disorders while millions more suffer from negative food consumption and negative body image. To prepare for the week, here’s a list of 6 ways to support those who suffer and promote awareness.

1. Celebrate body positivity

Celebrating body positivity boosts self-esteem and encourages people to accept their bodies for what they are. Challenging the idea that only being thin is beautiful will support struggling people all over the world. However, shaming someone for being thin already is not celebrating body positivity. Celebrating body positivity means supporting and accepting everyone, despite their body type.

1. Be aware of the language you use

Someone who is recovering from an eating disorder may be sensitive to certain words that may encourage them to relapse. Being mindful of triggers and carefully choosing your words is an easy way to support someone recovering from an eating disorder. One way to educate yourself about possible triggers is to research eating disorders and listen to those who are recovering without judgment.

1. Create open communication

Being able to talk openly about eating disorders is an important step to take on. Understanding how to communicate openly about an issue like this will promote more people to push for action and boost awareness. Doing personal research and understand how the disorder affects someone is crucial to supporting recovery. Doing personal research and communicating the facts will push to end stigmas and the idea that eating disorders are just a “woman’s problem.”

1. Encourage loved ones to get screened or get screened yourself

As well as being able to openly communicate the facts about eating disorders, it is important to understand how to approach someone who is portraying the warning signs of an eating disorder. Suggesting that a loved one receive a confidential screening if the warning signs are concerning is a good idea. These can be completed either by a doctor or quickly online, this can take up to five minutes. Having the proper communication skills as well as understanding certain triggers can help with suggesting the screening.

1. Promote support groups and spread the helplines

Memorizing the support helplines can help a stranger or a loved one in a tough situation. Always being aware of the support groups in your area or in a loved one’s area is important knowledge to remember. Suggesting that someone visit a support group or encouraging them to call a helpline is promoting awareness for eating disorders while offering someone a shoulder to lean on. These support groups and helplines offer information about treatment options, consulting and more.

1. Take care of yourself  

While promoting the awareness of eating disorders and pushing for more research, it is crucial to remember to take care of yourself and keep your health a top priority. Plain and simple, if you are unhealthy or ignoring your own warning signs, there isn’t much help to offer others.

Image source: Pexels

An animal lover who drinks too much coffee, crochets blankets and recklessly loves people. I never underestimate a good book and a pretty view.
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.