bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Tragedies of Dorm Showers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

“Dorm showers” are one of the worst parts of living on campus. Living in a hall with 40 other girls, I have been thrown into an unknown world. There are certain tragedies to dorm life, the showers are the cruelest of these. In honor of the shower monstrosities I have witnessed (and been the victim of), I bring you the worst offenses.

1. Wads of hair EVERYWHERE

The tile floor has clumps of hair scattered all over the place; walking to a shower stall is a game of dodge the hair. When you finally reach safety, you haven’t. Strands of hair decorate the shower curtain and someone has stuck hair to the wall. No shower is complete without it’s own hair wall art.

2. M.I.A hair ties and scrunchies

On the floor and in any basket inside the shower, there is bound to be a missing hair accessory. There was once a scrunchie in my hall bathroom that was there for about a week. To the brave soul who discarded the wet (and probably smelly) scrunchie, thank you. How about we start a movement to do a quick check of the stall, checking to make sure we have everything before we leave? Yeah, I am totally up for that.

3. BAND-AIDS

This should be health code violation, that is just disgusting. It’s not that hard to take off a band-aid before you shower. Alternatively, put the band-aid in your shower caddy and throw it away. Not only is this a social issue, but a health issue.

4. Snot on the wall

Just, ew. The night I stepped into the shower and saw this was the night I lost my shiny innocence. Nothing is more jarring. Is the shower a tissue now? What was the thought process that went into this crime? Let’s stop defeating the purpose of showers everybody.

5. Random trash

True story, someone once placed a mostly empty container of cheese balls in my hall shower. I have seen necklace chains, loose string, receipts and change. There are occasions that very much feel as if someone has just dumped the contents of their robe pockets onto the floor.

6. Hogging all the shower hooks

There is always that one person who is using all of the surrounding shower hooks outside of their shower. C’mon now.

Now after everything I have just listed it would be crazy to not wear shoes in the shower, but it happens. So please, wear shoes in the shower and stop using it as your trashcan! Also, go thank your cleaning workers, they deserve some recognition.

Image Sources: GIFs from Giphy.com

Jessica Mardian

Virginia Tech '21

Jessica is a senior at Virginia Tech, double majoring in Creative Writing and Multimedia Journalism. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!