Wellness > Health

5 Ways You Can Celebrate International Plant Appreciation Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Today is International Plant Appreciation Day. Plants are the foundation of life on Earth, and they play a vital role in our ecosystem. International Plant Appreciation Day can be traced back to the early 21st century when a group of botanists, gardeners, and environmental enthusiasts came together to raise awareness about plants and the important role they play in our lives. This annual celebration has served as a reminder to people to appreciate the natural world and protect the beauty that surrounds us before it is too late. Over the years, people have started to engage in various activities and service events to celebrate this day. For all the plant lovers out there, here are some ways you can celebrate today with your friends and family.

Buy an indoor or outdoor plant.

Go out and buy yourself a plant! Scientists have found that indoor plants can help reduce stress levels and help sharpen attention. Working with plants can be therapeutic and can help boost your productivity. A 2014 study found a 15% increase in productivity in an office after plants were arranged around desks and office meeting spaces. While plants improve the quality of indoor air, they can also improve your whole outlook on work. Over the years, researchers have found that those whose office environment included natural elements like indoor plants felt greater job satisfaction and more commitment to the organization than those who didn’t work around natural elements.

Give a plant to someone to cheer them up.

If you’re looking to give a present to someone, give them a plant! They serve as a reminder of nature’s wild beauty. The simplicity and relatively low maintenance of plants are fantastic gifts for anyone. Plants drink up water and take in sunlight while also providing a beautiful splash of green around your home, whether it be in the living room, kitchen, or library. While it may be intimidating to take care of plants, all it takes is setting up a reminder on your phone to provide your plants with a splash of water once a week. 

Take up gardening. It’s a great hobby with many benefits.

There are numerous benefits to gardening. They include improved heart and lung health, increased levels of serotonin and dopamine, improved self-esteem, and unity within the community. Gardening can help clean the air and improve soil quality as well. Plants can absorb any chemicals, bacteria, or harmful elements floating on the breeze, which they then filter into useful waste products like water and oxygen. Gardening can be a fun activity to do with your friends and family.

Girl At Farm
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Visit the Hahn Horticulture Garden at Virginia Tech.

Open every day of the year, the Hahn Horticulture Garden at Virginia Tech is a beautiful place to visit on campus. Established in 1984, it covers nearly six acres and serves the local community and students as a place to plant materials, learn landscaping concepts, and raise environmental awareness. The garden also features water gardens and shade gardens. There is a dynamic display of plants from all around the world presented to visitors.

Use Ecosia

Ecosia is a ‘privacy-friendly’ search engine based in Berlin, Germany. It is a social business that was launched in 2009 by Christian Kroll. Ecosia is a certified B-corporation and is a nonprofit. Users can search the web on Ecosia, and search advertisements can generate income for Ecosia. They then use this income to plant trees. To date, they have planted approximately 171,000,000 trees around the world at various planting sites. Trees can lead to a happy environment, healthy people, and an overall strong economy.

hawaii nature hikes original
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

International Plant Appreciation Day serves as a powerful reminder of the interconnectedness of life on Earth, and it encourages us to cherish and protect the green that surrounds us. As college students, we surround ourselves with technology every single day as we work hard to meet deadlines. Try to take a moment today to go outside and take in nature’s beauty.

Hindola Gangopadhyay

Virginia Tech '25

A junior at Virginia Tech, Hindola enjoys traveling, playing guitar, trying new recipes, and spending time with her friends and family. When she's not serenading the world with her soulful voice, she enjoys going on spontaneous adventures and brushing up on her photography skills. She enjoys writing articles for Her Campus, and is also involved in a lot of organizations around the Virginia Tech campus.