pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways To Deal With Post-Graduation Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

1. Talk to your career advisor

Getting a job right out of college can be one of the most nerve wracking worries that seniors have and it’s understandable. At Virginia Tech, we have a great career center and if you didn’t know, each college has their own career advisor that you can schedule a meeting with to discuss your options. Whether you’re torn between graduate school or a career, or you’re struggling to decide what field you want to go into, they are there to help. They can also give you some great resources to make the transition into adulthood easier.  

2. Take a gap year

Sometimes you just need to take a break and clear your mind. Take a gap year and travel somewhere new, make new friends, and let yourself relax. It’s fine to take a little time for yourself and maybe when you come back you’ll have a better understanding of the type of career you want and what you need to do to get it.

3. Make a list of goals

What do you want out of your life and career? What are the things you love to do? Make a list of goals for your first year out of college. Even if it’s just as simple as wanting to find a job or get an apartment, that’s still a goal you should put down on paper. Writing it down will make it real and being able to cross off goals will give you more confidence to work towards more of your goals even if they’re not the easiest to complete.

4. Apply for jobs early (even if you aren’t sure if you want them)

If you know generally what field or type of job you want to go into after graduation then take initiative and apply as early as possible. You may not be sure if you want the position, but it’s good practice and if you get an offer there’s always the option to turn it down. It is always better to have more options than to be scrambling to apply to positions at the last minute.

5. Talk to recent graduates or other seniors

A lot of colleges have alumni gatherings, especially during the football season. Plus, a lot of alumni are active on social media as well, so you can easily find people to connect with who has similar interests. If you’re struggling, ask your advisor or career advisor on how you can connect with alumni in the field you want to enter. Connecting with alumni and recent graduates is a great way to network and it helps to get your name out and boosts your opportunity for job offers.

Image Sources:

All gifs from Giphy.com

All Images from Unsplash.com

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management. 
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.