5 Things to do in Blacksburg During the Colder Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Blacksburg, Virginia is a beautiful place, with plenty of attractions for Virginia Tech students to discover and enjoy. Many students take up hiking and other outdoor activities when they attend Virginia Tech, but what’s the student body to do when the climate turns cold? Of course, it’s a great option to hike, play in the snow, or attend an outdoor event when the cold is a little less extreme, but for those frigid winter days, here are five great options to consider!

1. See a movie at the Lyric

The Lyric Theatre is located right in the heart of downtown Blacksburg and has been open since 1930 – a historic staple of Southwest Virginia! This quaint theatre is perfect if you are looking for something within walking distance of campus, and they host all sorts of events beyond movies. Their calendar consists of recent movies, throwback events, and live events and speakers as well. Additionally, plenty of Virginia Tech departments and organizations utilize the space, with choral concerts and speakers coming up on their calendar.

Although not as big as a corporate movie theatre company, The Lyric plays plenty of showings of movies that are recent, at a great price. Based on their recent movies, the prices tend to range from $4-6 for a movie. Concessions are also available at this spot, from popcorn and soda, to candy and other treats. Fun fact: They also have free popcorn with movies on Mondays – what’s not to love?

Check out their website.

2. Cozy up in a local coffee shop

On those days with less-than-ideal weather, the best thing to do can be sipping coffee or another hot beverage inside! These three local cafes could be a great possibility for you to meet up with friends, or perhaps just get some work done and enjoy the cozy environment. All of these places have great coffee, a friendly staff, and varied designs, so why not try all three? Bonus: They are all within walking distance of campus!

• Idego – Website

• Bollo’s Cafe & Bakery – Website

• Mill Mountain – Website (6 additional locations!)

Check out our guide to coffee shops in Blacksburg.

3. Go to an multi-activity establishment like Frank Theatres CineBowl and Grill or NRV Superbowl

These businesses offer multiple activities and ways to pass the time, all under one roof! These places will have something for everyone in your friend group, and are extremely convenient and affordable. The CineBowl has bowling, an arcade, a movie theatre, and a restaurant. The NRV Superbowl has bowling, laser tag, and an arcade. Both of these businesses sometimes have specials and other offers for groups and discounts depending on the time of week. Why not make a day off exciting?

4. Check out some local history

History makes up a big part of the present and future parts of our lives. Although many of us have not learned about major local historical events since maybe middle school or high school, they are still relevant. If you are not originally from Blacksburg, or let alone Virginia, these spots could give you some context about how these areas came to be. Dixie Caverns offers tours of the only caverns of Southwest Virginia for only $14!

5. Try escaping some escape rooms

A recently opened business of escape rooms, Puzzlr, is right in the heart of downtown Blacksburg. On their website, Puzzlr writes: “Puzzlr brings to life action-packed interactive game experiences in Blacksburg! You have 60 minutes. Find clues and solve puzzles to complete your objective.” From easy situations, to much more challenging puzzles, these rooms are designed to help participants think critically and depend on each other. These rooms are said to be excellent for a fun afternoon of team bonding.

Check out their website.

No matter what you choose to do, there are plenty of fun, indoor activities to enjoy in the Blacksburg area. Take your pick, and make a day of it!

Image Sources:

Thumbnail 1 / 2 / 3 

Kaitlyn Horinko

Virginia Tech '19

Kaitlyn can usually be found 15 minutes early to wherever she's going, with Starbucks in hand. She is passionate about social media and finding new ways to advocate for mental health, and enjoys making playlists, road trips, and writing in her free time.
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.