4 Career Paths for Pre-Health Majors that Don’t Include Med School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Many people come to the realization in college that while they are interested in working in a health field or working directly with patients, that medical school might not be the best option for them. Whether you are turned off from it completely or simply looking to explore your options, here is a list of some fast facts about some of the more popular alternatives to medical school that still allow you to practice medicine in a similar capacity.

For any of these programs the most competitive applicants should have a bachelors in a pre-health major (biology, chemistry, psychology, etc.) with the main prerequisites of courses such as biology (with lab), chemistry (with lab), organic chemistry, physics, anatomy and physiology, and courses such as English, psychology, sociology, calculus, and statistics could only improve your chances. Programs like these also look for volunteer or work experience in related fields such as a medical assistant, lab assistant, EMT, clinical shadowing, etc. In addition to letters of recommendation and GPA requirements, some programs require an entrance exam in order to apply, such as the GRE, but it varies based on school and program type.

Physician’s Assistant

Job Description: Very similar to a doctor, Physicians Assistants can diagnose and treat illnesses as well as prescribe medications and can work in any medical setting, however they work in collaboration with and under the supervision of a doctor. Positions available in nearly every medical field, such as psychiatry, cardiology, pediatrics, etc., so there is lots of freedom to pursue the field that is right for you.

Education Needed: Master’s PA Program (around 3 years) including clinical rotations in a variety of fields

State Licensure: Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (other requirements vary by state) 

Average Salary: $112,260 (varies by state and specialty)

Physical Therapist

Job Description: Physical therapists focus on physical rehabilitation, by diagnosing and treating injuries, disabilities, or other issues in order to improve movement and function or reduce pain.

Education Needed: Doctorate of Physical Therapy (around 3 years), residencies and fellowships are available after graduation for advanced practice and knowledge

State Licensure: National Physical Therapy Exam (other requirements vary by state)

Average Salary: $89,440 (varies based on practice setting and state)

Chiropractor

Job Description: Chiropractors diagnose and treat patients struggling with pain, injuries, or disabilities concerning spine, muscle, bone, or ligament issues in order to reduce pain and improve function or assist rehabilitation.

Education Needed: Doctor of Chiropractic (around 4 years) 

State Licensure: National Board of Chiropractic Examiners administers an exam (other requirements vary by state)

Average Salary: $71,410 (varies by state)

Dentist

Job Description: Dentists work with patients in order to address oral health issues with teeth, gums, and jaws, and maintain overall dental hygiene.

Education Needed: Doctor of Dental Surgery, Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry, or Doctor of Dental Medicine (all around 4 years)

State Licensure: National Board Dental Examination (other requirements vary by state) 

Average Salary: $156,240 (varies by state and specialty)

Loralee Hoffer

Virginia Tech '23

Loralee Hoffer is a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in Psychology with minors in Creative Writing and Adaptive Brain and Behavior. Through her writing, she enjoys sharing her experiences with health and wellness, relationships, body positivity, and campus life. Proud to be a part of the Her Campus team, she hopes to empower women and gain valuable experience, education, and friends along the way.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!