This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It started out as a small outbreak across the world: a few blips were heard on the news, but it was nothing major. I would see an article but didn’t think anything major about it, yet here we are with extended spring breaks, closed universities and online classes. Although the Coronavirus may not have a direct impact on those with younger, more abled bodies, we still serve as a means to infect others who are more susceptible to the virus’s grasp. With immunocompromised individuals in my home, the importance of social distancing and self-isolation is even more apparent. Now, I’m not saying that social distancing or self-isolation will stop the virus, but it does help provide extra protection to those who desperately need it. While I didn’t have the most conventional spring break, I do have a few tips if you ever find yourself in a place of social distancing and self-isolation.

1. Get those ZZZ’s!

napping cat
Photo by Kate Stone Matheson on Unsplash

I didn’t even need a full semester of class to feel emotionally, mentally and physically wiped. The first thing I did during the coronacation was squeeze in those extra hours of sleep. Online class means a lot of extra time to get distracted and procrastinate, so make sure to get in your 8+ hours of sleep (and maybe a nap or two) now!

2. Self-care Sunday? More like self-care every day!

Woman Lying on White Textile With Sliced Cucumbers on Her Eyes
Breakingpic from Pexels
Treat yo self, gurl! Paint those nails. Do that face mask. Use that bath bomb you found in the back of your drawer. Take a little me time to decompress after a hectic few weeks. Pour yourself a glass of wine and lounge around with that one really fluffy blanket that you love.

3. Catch up on those shows and movies you’ve been eyeing all semester!

Netflix symbol on TV with a hand holding a remote
Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

I had a whole list of shows that I’ve been waiting to watch for so long now. With all this extra time I knew I could binge-watch with little worry. My sister and I sat on the couch and watched the entire season of Love is Blind in one day. It was a pretty great bonding experience for us that I totally recommend!

4. Read a book!

Anthony Tran
Anthony Tran / Unsplash

I don’t know when the last time I read a book purely for fun was, but this break I’ve finally gotten back into it. Whether it’s a new book or a classic, there’s no time like the present. I just reread Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird for, like, the hundredth time, and it was pure bliss. Sit underneath a window with a few pillows and a blanket, soak in some vitamin D, and escape the present with a good book.

5. Download a new game!

Did you all see that new Animal Crossing Nintendo Switch that came out? I thought it was the cutest thing ever, but my bank account said, “HECK no”. Luckily for us, Nintendo released a mobile version (it’s free!) called Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. It’s available on both the App Store and GooglePlay. If I don’t respond to your text I’m sorry, but I’m going down the Animal Crossing rabbit hole once again.

6. Reach out to your pals!

two women sit on a swing set. they are facing each other.
Bewakoof.com Official | Unsplash
If I had to pick the one tip that made me the happiest these past few weeks it’s definitely this one. The past few semesters of school have been quite a journey, and I for sure haven’t been as good at keeping up with friends. It was great to finally have the time to talk to people that I love. Whether that be friends you haven’t seen since before break or friends that you haven’t talked to since high school, just reach out! 

7. Learn (or brush up on) a language!

I come from a bilingual family that speaks both Korean and English, and it is really important to me to keep current with both. When I’m at school I’m speaking almost entirely in English, so it definitely puts me at a deficit when I come home. My mom has for sure laughed at me a few times when I confuse common words, so I’ve spent some time this break on Duolingo getting the basics down once again. That Owl and his notifications sure know how to keep me motivated. If you’ve wanted to try and learn a new language there’s no time like the present!

8. Clean your room!

Yasmine Boheas
Yasmine Boheas / Unsplash

Now part of this tip stems from the fact that we had to sanitize my entire house, but it was therapeutic nonetheless. We all have that one corner of our rooms where all our college stuff grows. For the first time in my college career, I finally took the time to organize that dreadful corner. I emptied my duffle bags, threw away my trash, did like ten loads of laundry, and vacuumed my room. It took almost a day’s worth of work, but it was so rewarding to see my room back to how clean it had once been long ago. 

9. Download TikTok (at your own risk)!

If you haven’t already downloaded TikTok it is definitely an addicting time killer. It is almost terrifying to look at my phone’s usage diagram every week to find out how long I am on TikTok each day. With that being said, I’ve never laughed as hard as I do at some of the videos I’ve seen posted on the platform. Also, our very own Street Team Director, Jessica Mardian, is TikTok famous! She posts some of the most relatable and hilarious content that I’ve ever seen. If you’d like to follow Jessica —which I highly recommend— her account is @jessicamardian. Make sure to learn some dances if you’re at it!

10. Read some Her Campus articles!

Her Campus articles are another amazing way to spend some time supporting and celebrating all the hard work that this amazing girl gang does. There are a plethora of articles on just about every topic you can imagine, and if there’s a topic missing you can definitely write one! Browse through Virginia Tech’s chapter and other chapters all across the nation if you please. I promise you’ll find incredibly written articles by some of the most amazing gals.

Through the first week of spring break, I was really starting to go stir crazy. I was getting really bored and running out of things to do. Once I flipped my mindset and started treating the extended break as a staycation, things really started to change. I was a lot more relaxed about the entire situation, and I found genuine pleasure in lounging around at home in my PJs all day. It’s definitely not what I expected for my spring break, but I don’t think I would change a thing about it. These tips helped me immensely throughout these stressful few weeks, and I hope they’re able to help you out as well :)

Ashley Son

Virginia Tech '21

A little bit about me: a senior at Virginia Tech studying Business Information Technology who enjoys watching sunsets, driving with the windows down, having the best laughs with friends, and writing for Her Campus :)
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.