10 Things to Do in Blacksburg This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

1. Apple Picking at Doe Creek Farm

Doe Creek Farm is a gorgeous venue with delicious apples and apple cider. Make a trip with friends to pick some apples and have a fall photo shoot. The best move is to buy some melting caramels and chocolate chips or candy at the store, and spend the night in dipping apples and watching movies!

2. Get Your Fall Chocolates at Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia has their fall and Halloween themed truffles in! Sugar Magnolia offers flights of Homestead Creamery ice cream as well as chocolates, so take a break after class and take a stroll to town for some treats.

3. Pumpkin Festival at Sinkland Farms

The pumpkin festival at Sinkland Farms is a must-see and is held on weekends from Sept. 28- Oct. 28. It includes a pumpkin patch, hayrides, hot chocolate and a corn maze. There is also horseback riding!

4. Pumpkin Carving

It would not be Halloween without carving Jack-o-lanterns! Pick up some pumpkins at Sinkland Farms and come home, put on Halloweentown High or Twitches, and carve away! Painting pumpkins is also an option if you are more into painting patterns than carving away.

5. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins at Bollo’s Cafe

Bollo’s Cafe has incredible pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, they even have gluten free! I have to stop in at least once a week for one of these.

6. Sigma Nu Haunted House

On October 17 from 8-11p.m., Sigma Nu is having a haunted house at 401 Progress Street, with proceeds going toward the Montgomery County Animal Shelter! Admission is only $5 or an animal treat or toy.

8. Hiking

Hiking in the area is always gorgeous, but it is possibly most beautiful during the fall season. The Cascades are a completely different experience when you are surrounded by colorful autumn leaves!

8. Visit the Blacksburg Farmers market

Every Wednesday and Saturday the Farmers Market brings flowers, baked goods, potted plants, vegetables and more to downtown Blacksburg! Just a quick walk from campus, the farmers market is a great place to support the local community.

9. Outdoor Laser Tag

The Laser Tag club at Virginia Tech has free outdoor laser tag in the woods at Pandapas Pond on Sunday September 30, Saturday October 13, and Saturday October 27! Laser tag is a blast, but laser tag outdoors? That sounds like the perfect fall group date.

10. Square Dancing

Everyone has to try square dancing at least once in their lifetime so why not now? October 5 at 8p.m. there will be square dancing at Homestead Farm, so grab your friends and make it a night!

Image Sources: Image 1 is author’s own /2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

A mechanical engineering sorority girl who will sprint across the drill field just to pet a dog.
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.