Why You Should Grow Plants in The House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Growing plants in the house are scientifically proven to improve both your mental and physical health. And with most of us in social distancing and isolated from others, we are left feeling quite depressed. Growing plants in the house can prove to be a therapeutic and relaxing activity to help you during this stressful time. Here are a few benefits of having plants around. 

Good for Mental Health

Being around plants is great for your mental health. Humans, in general, are attracted to greenery and nature. Being in green spaces creates a calming and soothing environment for people. By bringing plants into your home, you are simulating the outdoors in your home, creating that same calming environment you find outdoors. Some of the best plants to improve mental health include Rosemary, Lavender and Jasmine. These plants have therapeutic aromas that are said to improve mental health.

Boosts Productivity 

A study by the American Psychological Association concluded that having plants around when you’re working, improves productivity. This is called the Attention Restoration Theory, it claims that people can concentrate better when they spend time in nature. Looking at plants puts you in a more peaceful and serene state of mind and relieves stress. And when you are less stressed, you can focus on your work more easily. Some of the best plants to keep around when working are the peace lily and the ZZ plant. These plants are recommended because they’re very easy to maintain and don’t require a ton of sunlight.

Boosts Immune System

Having indoor plants doesn’t just improve your mental health it is also great for your physical health. Plants are said to be highly effective in boosting your immune system. Plants release chemicals called Phytoncides, which are proven to have antibacterial and antifungal qualities that help plants fight disease. When humans breathe this air, It also boosts our immune system. And let’s be honest, our immune systems will take all the help they can get right now.

Improved Air Quality

Something that we’ve all definitely heard before is that plants boost air quality. This is 100% true. An experiment by NASA in 1989 found that plants have the ability to purify the air from harmful compounds such as formaldehyde and benzene. Keeping indoor plants inside the house acts as a natural air purifier. And with us being stuck inside the house most of the time now, improved air quality is definitely something we need. Some of the best air purifying plants include: Aloe Vera, Bamboo, Ficus and Spider Plant.

Aesthetically Pleasing 

Along with these great health benefits, plants are honestly so beautiful to look at. They make your home look so much better. They are also an incredibly cost-effective way to decorate any home. And honestly, It’s really fun just watching them grow. It’s incredibly rewarding and it provides you with a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment.

Sanjana Ravulapalli is a Junior at VCU, double majoring in Political science and Digital Journalism. She currently serves as the Vice President and Events Director for Her Campus at VCU. She loves art, theatre, writing, politics and exploring Richmond. She hopes to find herself working for a major media outlet in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!