Why You Need to Read Cleo Wade’s “Heart Talk”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Have you been feeling overwhelmed by the chaos of the world? Have you been having a trying time in your relationship with others and yourself? Have you been looking for a great new book? You need to read “Heart Talk” by Cleo Wade ASAP! This is the candid, benevolent, loving book you have been waiting for.   

Cleo Wade wrote “Heart Talk,” a book composed of poetic wisdom that acts as a sort of life guide. The book contains advice on love, self-care, decision-making, work ethic and a myriad of other things. This isn’t some uppity, self-righteous guide on being perfect, it is an offer to make your life better.   

It is paramount that more people read this book because it promotes love in its purest and healthiest form. Right now, the world is craving that. Cleo believes that “love is the most durable power in the world” and that we need to begin using it fiercely. I could not agree more. Moreover, this is a time of colossal change and Cleo acknowledges that, saying “change is the scariest AND most exciting thing of our existence.”

My mother gifted this book to me as she dropped me off at college, a time of incredibly large change. The trek through college and young adulthood is often a rather lonely one, jam-packed with constant changes: remembering what medicines you are allergic to when asked by the doctor, taking vitamins that taste like plant roots and don’t look like Flintstones characters, knowing what things will shrink if you dry them in the machine. Beginning this journey, it was so nice to have a sort of manual to guide me through. Maybe, Heart Talk can be that for you too, wherever you are in your  process. I have poured over her words for the past few weeks. Upon reading the whole thing, I have found myself tracing back to certain passages and poems when I need them. In this transitional period, it has been so relieving to have a sort of guidebook.

On October 3, 2018, Cleo Wade gave a talk back at the Graduate Hotel in Richmond. She is currently traveling the U.S. on her Courageous Love Tour, staying at all the Graduate hotels and offering a free night of discussion on self-love, self-care and community building. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend this event. With mini buckets of popcorn, cozy lighting, and comfy chairs, a room of strangers settled in for a night of betterment.

In her self-proclaimed conversation, Cleo talked about the three pillars of self-care:

• Therapeutic Rituals
    • Meditating, exercising, etc. 
  • Designated safe spaces
    • Having a place to discuss problems. Such as women’s group. It may be beneficial to create group with strangers because they are not attached to your former selves and want to best you for you now.
  • Relationship Boundaries 
    • You cannot do everything. At some point, you must come first.

She talked about many other things, all articulated dowsed in honey, as per usual with poets. It was a night brimming with love, just like her book.

If you, or a loved one, are in need of a little love or a little guidance, I implore you to go buy this book.

Caroline is a student at VCU double majoring in theatre performance and psychology! Her favorite things include dance parties, chai lattes, and poetry.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!