Why You Need to Browse the Book Shelves at Cabell Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Fellow VCU students, we have all probably been to Cabell Library at least once, if not hundreds of times. Although, most of us probably have only been to Cabell in search of a study spot that fits our electronic needs, whether it be on the first, second, third or fourth floor. I can admit that I, up until last week, was guilty of being that person that I just described. Which is totally fine, I may add, because if you’re anything like me, the ‘vibe’ of the library is quite motivational to do some of your best work. With that being said, last week on a random Tuesday night, my friend suggested we go to the library. Since it was already pretty late, all the good spots were taken. So we thought we might as well venture into the aisles of books as it seemed like it was the least crowded place on the entire first floor.

I began scanning down the first aisle I came to and was astonished, to say the least, at the variety and detail of books there were, even in just the two book shelves that surrounded me on both sides. It was then I realized that books, things that I don’t particularly take to, were full of discussions and possible answers to the thought-provoking questions I ask myself regularly. So there I was, sitting on the floor of Cabell Library trying to skim through each book that grabbed my eye, in hopes to pick one to fully divert my attention to. 

After spending probably an hour browsing, I was amazed at the fact I hadn’t even made a dent in the aisles on the first floor – and there was three other floors with about just as many books. I am in no words an avid reader, not even close. I even hate reading instructions. Seriously. However, I was very surprised of how appealing the actual book section of the library could be to someone who usually dreads reading, even for fun. So I recommend while taking a break from studying at our great library, to browse the thousands of books because you may never know what questions lay in your subconscious that are dying to be addressed.

Paige is a Social Work major at Virginia Commonwealth University. A cross-over between a writer and a hippie, Paige can be found sitting criss-cross apple sauce on her laptop wearing a headband and flown patterned pants. Hoping to join the Peace Corps one day and see all the world has to offer, she loves the diversity that embodies HerCampus.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!