Thought Bubble
Thought Bubble
Rebecca Hoskins / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Why Self-Talk is so Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Thoughts only have power if you invest attention and action in them. However, that doesn’t mean that they don’t have influence over your life. Our inner dialogue or our self-talk is the flow of ideas that can frame how we think about ourselves and the world. If you constantly find yourself in a state of negativity, it’s time to take a look at what that voice in your head is saying.

It’s easy for your self-talk to be critical when you’re overthinking your decisions and second-guessing yourself. Many people are more prone to negative self-talk with affirmations that don’t do you any good.

“I’m so stupid.”

“Things never work out.”

This inner voice can be detrimental to your goals by keeping you in a negative mindset. Some people may think that being this hard on yourself is justified and can you make you better. More often than not, negative self-talk can be harmful to your self-image, confidence and more.

This self-criticism in our head usually voices itself when we think about the past and things that didn’t go well. It’s important to switch to more positive self-talk, which centers around the present moment. When you’re more focused on the “now,” you don’t have to worry about what once was or be anxious about what could come.

Positive self-talk can help you be more mindful and aware. In addition to our inner monologue, affirmations that are said aloud can add to a more positive mindset as well. Switch out some of those limiting affirmations with more positive ones.

“I can do this.” 

“It’s okay if I make a mistake.”

“I am proud of myself.”

“I am letting go of any limiting beliefs about myself.”

These types of affirmations are important for your brain and self-esteem. These give you the power to change that pattern of negative self-talk with one that uplifts you.

Positive self-talk is important because not only can it motivate you and increase your self-esteem, it can help you work through ideas and problems better. It’s human nature to have difficult times, and your mind is not always going to pump out a perfect and chirpy inner voice for every experience.

However, being able to master positive self-talk and switching to a brighter mindset will be beneficial in the long run. When a negative experience happens, positive self-talk can pull you out of the darkness. Positive self-talk can help you move forward with some optimism, even in the most dismal circumstances.

Kaylah Young is a senior at VCU. She is majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in journalism, and a minor in political science. Kaylah has a passion for writing, reading books, and working out at the gym.