This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Sexually transmitted diseases and infections are a lot more common than most people realize. Any person is capable of contracting an STD or STI, and just because someone contracts an STD or STI does not necessarily mean they have had a lot of sexual partners. The number of sexual partners someone has is not something anyone should ever be ashamed of because each person has full autonomy over their own body, and people should not assume that just because someone has an active sex life that they have an STD or STI. Someone can get an STD or STI after having sex with just one person—the number of people someone has had sex with does not matter. It’s also important to remember that someone may have contracted an STD or STI through a non-consensual encounter, so you should not quickly pass judgment. No person deserves to be belittled for contracting an STD or STI, no matter the circumstances that led to the transmission occurring.   

It is important to ensure that both you and your sexual partners frequently get tested. The stigma surrounding STDs and STIs makes people very scared of getting tested because they fear judgment should their test come back positive. According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, “No STD is harmless. Even the curable ones can cause serious consequences if left untreated. HIV is of particular concern as biological evidence demonstrates the increased likelihood of acquiring and transmitting HIV when STDs are present.” We have all been socialized to believe many ridiculous notions about sex and sexual health, but I am here to tell you that there is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to getting tested or even contracting an STD or STI. 

man holding stethoscope
Unsplash

According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, “Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted from an infected person to an uninfected person through sexual contact.” There is a tendency for people to assume that they don’t have an STD or STI just because they or their partners don’t have any symptoms or haven’t had many sexual partners. This is not a reasonable assumption to make because some people are asymptomatic, and again, you can get an STD or STI from engaging in any form of sex just one time. According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, “many people infected by an STD have little or no symptoms of the infection.” Some people would just prefer not to know and go on as if everything is fine, but doing so endangers their future sexual partners. According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, “Early and rapid diagnosis of STDs increases the chance to limit effects of the disease. Left untreated, STDs, such as gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, genital herpes, and human papillomavirus, can lead to devastating and sometimes long-term complications. These complications include blindness, bone deformities, brain damage, cancer, heart disease, infertility, birth defects, mental retardation, and even death.” It’s important that we all recognize that our decisions can impact others and that we avoid transmitting a disease or infection if we can. 

Some people in monogamous relationships feel that they do not need to get tested throughout their relationship because their partner is only engaging in sexual acts with them. However, that is not always the case in every relationship that is labeled monogamous. Infidelity occurs quite frequently, and if other sexual partners transmit a disease or infection to your partner, you could very easily end up contracting an STD or STI. 

If you do happen to experience some symptoms of an STD or STI, do not jump to conclusions. There are many other reasons that you may be experiencing those symptoms, so just visit a healthcare professional. If you cannot afford to pay for a test, places like Planned Parenthood and free clinics can allow you to get tested for free or a lower price than you would find elsewhere. If you do end up contracting an STD or STI, do not allow society to make you feel bad about it—you still hold so much value! 

Britney Simmons is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University who is majoring in Mass Communications with a Concentration in Print/Online Journalism. She has loved reading and writing since she was a child, and is an animal lover. She loves to travel whenever possible, and you can usually find her binging some new series or napping.