Why I Will Forever Love the Walking Dead’s Glenn and Maggie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If I could say one thing to “The Walking Dead”‘s ultimate power couple, Glenn Rhee and Maggie Greene, it would be this:

Thank you from the bottom of my TV-obsessed, hopeless romantic heart for showing worldwide audiences that real, healthy love is possible, even in the worst situations.

I did not start watching “The Walking Dead” until 2013 when the show was in its fourth season. Yet, like any skilled binge-watcher, I quickly started the series and caught up in a matter of days. I distinctly remember suffering through a whirlwind of different emotional states throughout my binge, obviously caused by several different factors (the show is about a zombie apocalypse, after all). Yet, one of the greatest impressions that I took away from the show, even then, was how powerful the love between Maggie and Glenn is. 

When the two characters are introduced, Glenn in season one as an ex-pizza delivery driver and Maggie in season two as a veterinarian’s daughter, it seems unlikely, due to the circumstances, that their relationship will amount to anything. With a character dying practically every new episode, it was assumed that one of them would die tragically, yet the series would continue, just as it did with every previous character’s death. Yet, until season seven’s season premiere, no death ever came and Maggie and Glenn were blessed with the opportunity to let their relationship come to fruition and flourish.   

I am sure that many others, like myself, admire their courage to build a meaningful connection (and, consequently, a relationship and family) in a world where it might not seem worth it. As a college student who has high hopes for the future but is also keenly aware that disaster of any kind can strike without warning, I often question why human beings choose to put themselves in situations where they have a greater chance of losing what’s important to them. Yet, when I see Glenn and Maggie’s relationship, the choice to persevere makes sense. What value does giving up hold? Like Maggie once said, she continues living because she doesn’t “want to be afraid of being alive.” I think that’s a worthwhile thought for anyone to have.

I have loved watching Glenn and Maggie support each other, the way any couple in a healthy relationship should. They represent the best qualities of any pairing; their love is built on trust and an understanding that, even though a situation might appear grim, they are never alone when they have eachother. When they argue, they communicate and work together to find a solution. Nothing is ever one sided and they leave the audience feeling confident that everything will be okay, given time. 

Although some might find it futile to take life advice from a fictional couple, I say, “Why not?” Maggie and Glenn’s relationship portrays realistic and healthy expectations for what any real-life love should have and is a refreshing change of pace from the tumultuous relationships that other aspects of the media often portray.

Here’s to you, Glenn and Maggie! May your love live on.

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!