This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

With all the free time I have now due to the COVID-19 crisis, I have been trying to use my spare time to find myself a creative outlet. I began painting and reading novels again, which are hobbies I haven’t taken part in since before college. Ever since I started incorporating these hobbies into my daily routine, I’ve been feeling a lot more relaxed, even amidst this pandemic. Being less stressed has also caused me to get better sleep, be more productive with schoolwork, and feel happier overall. These changes I noticed about myself got me thinking about how important it is for everyone to find a creative outlet, and the benefits that come with that. So without further ado, these are three of the main reasons why everyone needs a creative outlet!

Engaging in Hobbies Improves Your Mental Health And Wellbeing

This reason might seem obvious, but it shouldn’t be overlooked. Oftentimes we prioritize our physical health over our mental health, when in fact, we should be ensuring we have the best overall health possible. By definition, hobbies are activities that bring us pleasure. Participating in hobbies offers an almost therapeutic escape from the stress and concerns we may face in our daily lives. In fact, a behavioral medicine study found that engaging in leisure activities promotes positive thinking, less stress, and a lower heart rate. Moreover, people who find creative outlets and hobbies are also less likely to experience depression and other mental health-related issues.

Hobbies and Leisure Activities Can Also Improve Your Physical Health

In addition to the mental health benefits of partaking in hobbies and leisure activities, there are also benefits to your physical health when you have a creative outlet. For instance, having a hobby may even be able to protect your brain from neurodegenerative diseases in the future.  According to a study from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, engaging in creative hobbies for at least one hour every day might help to prevent dementia later in life. Other than dementia, creative outlets and hobbies were also found to improve heart function, as arteries tend to dilate more when partaking in hobbies, thus allowing blood to flow through more easily. Additionally, a Japanese study found that having hobbies and creative outlets may even increase life expectancy!

Having a Creative Outlet Can Improve Work Performance

Employees who have creative outlets and hobbies are, in general, found to experience a boost in job performance. There was a study done in the Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, which found evidence that having a hobby outside of work could help you perform better at work. Not only do employees work more efficiently, but according to an Israeli study, they also have higher job satisfaction and less chance of experiencing burnout.

To sum it up, having a creative outlet is extremely important for everyone. I know it can be really easy to say that you don’t have time or the energy, but chances are we can find small ways to allow ourselves to be creative. The mental, physical, and career benefits are real, and now that we all have more time, we should take advantage of this extra time and find some hobbies to help find ourselves a creative outlet!

Rishitha is a senior at VCU majoring in Bioinformatics, while on the pre-medical track. When she isn't in classes, she loves to binge-watch sitcoms, cook, bake, and spend time with her friends and family! In her future, she hopes to become a physician and make meaningful impacts on patients' lives!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!