When You Finally Find Your Squad in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

College is an experience. Whether you have a good or bad experience sometimes seems to be based off of who you associate with. It’s a time where you learn more about yourself and also about the people you may see yourself with in years to come. Finding friends can be difficult, especially trying to connect with others when they themselves are trying to figure out who they are. Before you know it, freshman year is already over and you have friends, but your squad may not be completed quite yet. If you’re lucky, you’ll have an idea, but for the most part people are still trying to find out who they are. Don’t get me wrong, having all these new friends is amazing and not everyone is going to be someone you share your darkest secrets with, but what about your cheetah sisters?! (yes, Barcelona is all our dreams TBH)

Social butterflies and introverts alike, we are all looking for people we can just hang out with that we know are going to be with us on Saturday night – whether it’s just a pajama game night or living life to the fullest (you know what I mean – binging Netflix). Sometimes, you just have to test the waters to see what type of friends you want, similar to figuring out what songs you like. You can’t necessarily skip a person you don’t like (you can definitely swipe left, though), but you can definitely get a better idea of what you look for in friends while at college.

Personally, it was really easy to make friends, but at first I did feel a void because I didn’t have a squad like I did in high school, and I was truly missing it. Of course you can’t replace squads, but having friends in college who you’ll spend the majority of the next four years with seems like a dream that you’re just wishing will happen. And when your wish comes true … boy, are you glad!

Now, squads can just be you and your BFF, or literally as many people who can squeeze in your room for a movie night. Your squad becomes basically everything. These are the people who tell you that you look bomb in outfits and bring you Starbucks when you’re pulling an all-nighter. Basically, they are your support system 24/7, and it’s the best feeling in the world to be surrounded by people who embrace your weirdness, even when you yourself think you’re a bit too extra.

I am lucky to have found my squad during my junior year and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I still have all my friends whom I try and see on a regular basis, but I see my besties even if it’s for 10 minutes just to give each other hugs and say that we are here for each other. Thank you, universe, for giving me some of the most bad*ss men and women in my life that know how to handle my craziness and be there for all the moments where I can’t breathe because I’m laughing so hard.  

In any case, if you don’t find your squad right off the bat, you’re not alone. I hope you find your perfect group that you’ll invite to your life’s special events as well as create the most amazing memories with while in college.

Photos by Shreya Susarla

Nat is a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and Homeland Security at Virginia Commonwealth University who treats every opportunity as a new chapter. All her chapters are filled with music, travels, Pinterest, and pics of friends laughing so hard they snort. She loves meeting new people and hearing new stories because she believes everyone has one. She aspires to influence those around her as well as just making people smile.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!