This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

September is Suicide Prevention Month, as many are aware. Unfortunately, feelings of overwhelming doubt, loneliness and sadness aren’t solely specific to this month. Still, sometimes this is forgotten, making suicide prevention and awareness spread particularly in this month. Here is what to remember after September.

Everyone is going through something

When you are wrapped up in your own issues, it’s hard to remember that you’re not alone in these struggles. Whether it’s grieving, stressing about financial situations, or just life in general, try not to judge others. This goes for your boss that is always angry, your co-worker that’s always late picking up the shift after yours or even the driver that cut you off while merging lanes earlier. One of the keys to life is to not take anything personally, according to Miguel Ruiz.

Find healthy ways to cope

Coping is defined as “efforts to diminish or lower the threat of harm to yourself.” There are a number of ways we can go about making ourselves feel better, and sometimes we tend to choose the easier options or even more harmful ones. Some beneficial methods include taking time solely for yourself and your hobbies, trying to eat moderately better, and going outside to connect with nature. Grounding yourself in nature, or earthing, can help calm our minds and bodies during episodes of anxiety or panic, according to The Nest.

Look out for warning signs in loved ones

It can be entertaining to make jokes about yourself but general negative remarks about oneself can also be a warning sign, according to modern psychological studies. This is one of the most important things to remember from this article. Other warning signs can look like many things such as someone engaging in risky behavior, feeling isolated or alone and even engaging in the abuse of substances.

These thoughts aren’t selfish

When hit with suicidal thoughts, it can seem like it’s all for attention in your head. You tend to feel lonely, making it feel like you’re having these doubts just to be seen by those around you. Remember that you’re not an attention seeker, you are a person with genuine emotions.

You are not a ‘burden’

People who begin to develop suicidal thoughts often think they are a chore for the ones closest to them, according to Health Central. These emotions can make someone refuse to reach out, which inevitably pushes those close friends and family away. You are never too much, what you think and feel matters.

This may be a tragic leading cause of death, but it’s also one of the most preventable. Don’t be afraid to ask for help — I didn’t list this because it’s what everyone says, but the most important steps to feeling better is accepting help. Whether it’s friends, parents or therapists, opening up helps. Don’t be afraid to let your guard down, the world needs you.

Chloe Hawkins currently attends VCU pursuing a major in Mass Communications with a focus in digital journalism and a minor in history. She has many interests including politics, the environment, and education. Her main goal while writing for HERCampus is to connect with more people in the Richmond area.