This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For a couple of months now, I have been in a deep funk. I wake up, attend Zoom university, and occasionally leave my apartment to get food. I feel like I have nothing to look forward to and no excitement in my life. Yes, I hang out with a couple of my close friends, and don’t get me wrong; I love and appreciate my gals to no end. But at this point in the pandemic, things have gotten quite repetitive. In a bid to pull myself out of this funk, I sat down and tried to pinpoint the cause of my listlessness. While there was no single cause, I was able to boil it down to the lack of foresight in my life.

I have always been a planner. I plan out my life in excessive details regarding my post-grad plans, my travel plans, and what internships I want to apply to. The pandemic abruptly ended all of that, and everyone had to put their life on pause. That was okay until the semester started up again. Suddenly, I was expected to resume living my life, except everything has changed, and I don’t recognize my world anymore. I plan because I like being in control, and the pandemic ripped that away from me. I decided that since I cannot make big plans for my life right now, I should opt for making small plans to give myself something to look forward to and to give myself a sense of agency over my life. And that is how I came to the decision that I should myself on dates regularly.

Photo by Megan Ellis

While it seems so silly, it has had a monumental impact on my mood. I do this twice a week on Wednesday and Friday mornings. I do my makeup and my hair and put on a pretty outfit. It’s so cliché, but it’s true: when you look good, you feel good. There’s something empowering about dressing up and putting effort in yourself for yourself. Then, I take myself out to a brunch or coffee place. To add a bit of excitement back in my life, I try new food places and locally-owned restaurants to push myself out of my comfort zone. Instead of bringing my food back to my apartment, I eat at the establishment or in a park.

For the longest time, I hated eating alone in public because I felt like a loser and that everyone was judging. The truth is, no one is judging you because no one really gives a sh*t. Everyone is too caught up in their own lives to care that a stranger is eating alone. I also try to go places a little farther from my house to get in my steps and enjoy my surroundings. I’ve come to the realization that these little dates are a way for me to treat myself, go outside and enjoy my life beyond the confines of my apartment. It has given me something to look forward to and gives me a sense of accomplishment because it is a form of self-care.

Kathy Nguyen is a Senior at VCU. She is double majoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Political Science with concentration in International Relations. Her passion includes advocating for women's reproductive rights and gun reforms. In addition to her political activism, she is a coffee snob and a Harry Potter fanatic.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!