This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Let’s face it, Valentine’s Day may not be for everyone in a normal year. On top of it, COVID has changed the look of Valentine’s day, and we’re faced with the obstacle of making the best of a strange situation. Here are the five songs I recommend for anyone, no matter what your V-day may look like.

For Valentine’s Night: “Get You” by Daniel Caesar ft. Kali Uchis

This song sent chills down my back the first time I heard it. Daniel Caesar’s hypnotic voice speaks words of admiration and thanks to his lover, who has been, “Through drought and famine, natural disasters” by his side. He’s done an excellent job revitalizing Rhythm and Blues, mixed with R&B, bringing the taste of the new decade’s low-fi obsession. Kali Uchis’s soft and sweet vocals added the lover’s perspective so beautifully. If you need me, I’ll be daydreaming about someone loving me this tenderly. 

Missing an Ex: “I Talk to the Sky” by Maddy Estelle

There’s no denying it, Valentine’s Day is less than ideal after a breakup. Maddy Estelle captures the situation perfectly- all of the things you wish you could say but can’t for one reason or another. With simple guitar chords, it sounds like a sweet lullaby. Reaching a mature realization at only 17, she describes setting herself free by screaming her thoughts to the sky, who will never give her a response back. This song resonated so deeply, giving us the courage to not need closure from another, and finding it within ourselves.

Anti-Valentine’s Day Dance Party: “Bloody Valentine” by Machine Gun Kelly

This song broke the world when the music video dropped (spoiler: Megan Fox and MGK revealed their relationship through a steamy music video). Dubbed the biggest rockstar of this generation, Machine Gun Kelly (real name Colston Baker) delivers a pop-punk classic that is perfect for a solo dance party. Be warned, every time I listen to this song, it is stuck in my head for the rest of the day. 

Self-care Afternoon: “Lovestained” by Hope Tala

Hope’s sweet, honey voice lulls minds into a heavenly trance. This song brings the sunshine of summer back to the room, with steel drums giving a beachy vibe that anyone will love. The song speaks of her growing as a person for the sake of another. However, this could easily be interpreted as a self-love anthem, and the growth she commits to is for her own benefit in the long run. Overall, this song is the perfect soundtrack for a face mask and journaling session.

Serenading That Special Someone: “Loverboy” by Jackson Lundy

Looking for the right words to describe how you feel to the person who’s had your heart? Look no further than this sweet ballad. Jackson speaks of confessing his love and commitment to giving them the best version of himself he can be. In a time where romance is often labeled “dead,” what more can you ask for? 

While I may be spending my Valentine’s with my roommates, watching cheesy movies and eating discounted candy, there’s no shame in celebrating however you see fit. Whether it is just another Saturday or a night with your lover, remember to stay safe and have fun listening to these stellar finds.

Lila is a Sophomore who recently transferred to VCU. She is studying Mechanical Engineering, and enjoys writing, crochet and music.
VCU Contributor Account