The Top 5 Upcoming Artists to Be on the Lookout For in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Here are five artists you’ll want to know in 2017:

1. Ari Lennox – Ari Lennox is a soulful R&B newcomer from Washington, D.C. Her unique vocals, similar to those of Erykah Badu, garnered the attention of hip-hop artist J. Cole. Signed to Dreamville records, the singer/songwriter erupted on the scene in late 2016 with her EP titled Pho, which embodies the diversity of R&B.

Songs you should listen to – “Backseat” and “Night Drive”

2. Anderson Paak – If you’re a fan of Chance the Rapper, then you’ll love Anderson Paak. The Los Angeles native erupted on the seen in 2016 with his hit album, Malibu, a collaboration album with fellow Los Angeles Rapper Knxwledge titled “Yes Lawd!” and an opening spot on 2016’s hottest tour, The Formation World Tour. With nominations for Best New Artist and Best Urban Contemporary Album for Malibu at the 2017 Grammy’s under his belt, 2017 is shaping up to be another big year for Paak.

Songs you should listen to – “Come Down,” “Best One” and “Suede”

3. Khalid – Fresh out of high school, this soulful R&B singer made waves with the love ballad, “Location,” and it’s heating up the charts.  At the age of 18, Khalid became a household name, with celebrities like Kylie Jenner and Rita Ora playing his song for their millions of Snapchat followers.

Songs you should listen to – “Location” and “Saved”

4. Eric Bellinger – This Contemporary R&B singer and songwriter co-wrote hits for artists like Usher, Brandy, Chris Brown and Justin Bieber.  His latest release “Eric B for President: Term 1 (Acoustic),” really gives you some soulful music to vibe to.

Songs you should listen to- “G.O.A.T” 

5. H.E.R –  H.E.R not choosing to reveal her identity makes listeners focus more on the music and not her outward appearances. H.E.R chill R&B vibe soothes listeners’ ears.

Songs you should listen to- “Wait for it” and “Focus”

Here’s a playlist with all of these artists for you to enjoy!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Kelsey is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying mass communications with a concentration in broadcast journalism. When she is not involved with school, she likes to catch up on her reality shows and stuff her face with Snicker bars.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!