Style > Beauty

Top 5 Cold Weather Drugstore Products For Dark Skinned Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As cold weather approaches, so does a season of dry skin for so many of us. I don’t know about you, but I have been through millions of products trying to find what works best in the winter. I’ve learned that just because it worked in the summer doesn’t mean it’ll work now. I also was always on the lookout for products I could find in drugstores because the college lifestyle isn’t allowing me to spend at Sephora. Below are my top five most affordable and accessible products to add into your routine this fall and winter. 

Laneige Sleeping Lip Mask 

My absolute lifesaver, and you can get it for only $14 on Amazon or at Sephora. This lip mask saves me during the cold seasons. It makes my lips super soft and keeps them from chapping, even when it’s unnecessarily cold outside. The mask is also so easy to use because all you do is apply it before you sleep.

When you wake up, take it off with a towel or napkin and boom- super soft and un-chapped lips. The best part is that I don’t even need chapstick the whole day because my lips still are hydrated from the night before. I’m telling you, this is the best cold-season investment ever. 

Versed Body Oil

I don’t know about you, but my skin gets really dry and sometimes even cracks during the winter season due to the cold. I always just kept reapplying lotion, but it was really time consuming and I wouldn’t always have that giant bottle of lotion on me. Versed body oil is what is saving my skin’s life this upcoming winter.

At first, I was skeptical, because if lotion wouldn’t do the trick, how would oil? But honestly, this body oil has been doing more than all my applications of lotion. It is so moisturizing and keeps my skin soft and glowing during the winter season. The best part? I only apply it once for the day during my morning routine.

Witch Hazel Toner

For some reason, I’ve always had an issue with hyperpigmentation, which is when slightly different colors appear in your skin. Mine is even worse in the winter, and I finally found something that can tone down some of the pigments in my skin.

Witch Hazel’s toner is an actual godsend. After using it just for a week, my face has completely evened out in tone and leaves my skin feeling moisturized without having to wash it. It is so easy to use and it’s only $6 in every major drugstore, so there’s no reason for you to not try this amazing product out. 

St. Ives Body Exfoliator

Why spend more than five dollars on exfoliator? Don’t get me wrong, I love quality products as much as the next girl, but St. Ives’s body scrubs do the trick without the price tag. Exfoliating in the winter is almost as important moisturizing because think about it—moisturizing without exfoliating is just moisturizing dead skin.

St. Ives is my favorite because even though it’s cheap, the scrub still works wonders on my skin and makes it glow and stay smooth during the rough winter months. The scrub is almost in every major drugstore and on Amazon. They have a million different scent options too, which makes the choosing process even harder!

Nivea Body Lotion

Okay, hear me out. I discovered Nivea’s body lotion in elementary school when my dad would make me use it on my dry, ashy legs. Since then, I’ve tried so many types and brands of lotions, but I keep coming back to this one because it isn’t too wet, like so many of the others. It just is so moisturizing and makes me feel so refreshed. I also don’t have to apply it every other minute like some other lotion brands (I’m looking at you Bath and Body Works.)

You can find it everywhere (no surprise) and it’s under $6 for a bottle that I guarantee will last you months. If I had to keep anything out of this list, it would definitely be this lotion because you can’t go wrong with moisturizing in the winter. 

These products are my absolute favorites and work so well during the winter to keep you refreshed while making you look so glowy and moisturized (which we all need the winter.)

Plus, I can guarantee that you can find all of these on Amazon or at your local drugstore for an easy pick up for the upcoming cold months. Hopefully, they work as well on you as they have been on me!

Merry is a third-year political science & economics double major at Boston University. She is a former fashion merchandising major and hopes to work in editorial fashion, PR, or social media post-graduation while also focusing on the journalistic aspects of both her majors. She currently contributes to a number of publications while simultaneously working as an editor at Her Campus BU. Merry was also previously the managing editor of Her Campus at VCU and worked as an editorial intern for Her Campus Media. Contact her at mariamgnebiyu@gmail.com & @merry.nebiyu on Instagram.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!