nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips On How To Get That Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Lately, a lot of people have been asking me, “How did you get all of your Campus Representative positions and internships as only a freshman?” Well here are some tips that helped me get my positions!

1. Get Involved on Campus

Coming into college, I had absolutely no experience related to my Public Relations major. I told myself that the moment I started college, I would join as many organizations as I could handle. It’s especially easy to do that at VCU with our over 500 student organizations. You can’t just apply to these bigger positions without first having some background knowledge, which is where student clubs come in. Her Campus VCU was the first group I joined and it opened so many doors for me. With the help of HCVCU, I was offered my Campus Rep positions.

2. Make Short-term Goals

Make smaller goals for yourself so you can reach that long-term goal, such as getting straight A’s this semester or getting a summer job. My own short-term goals include getting internships and campus representative positions throughout college so that I can one day achieve my number one goal — working for a large brand-name company in NYC.

3. Research

I didn’t find my positions out of nowhere. The Internet is a great resource to find internships. My favorite online resource is Intern Queen, which I also happen to be a Campus Ambassador at. They regularly post available internships and campus representative positions. Make sure to check these resources frequently. Something you’re interested in is bound to pop up. Also, search for local firms related to your major. They are a great resource to get more insight on your industry.

4. Reach Out

Reaching out to people is a big one. Last summer, I wanted to get more insight on PR, so I emailed multiple PR firms in my area. Of course, not everyone replied, but one firm actually did email me back and I got to spend the day shadowing the company. It helped me realize that this was the major for me. Plus, now I have connections for the future if I ever want to apply for an internship with that company.

5. Be Patient

Patience is key when it comes to applying for these positions. I’m probably the most impatient person ever so this was definitely difficult for me. A lot of people are probably applying for those same positions as you, so don’t worry if it takes a few weeks for them to get back to you. However, if you haven’t heard anything at least two weeks after the deadline, it might be a good idea to follow up.

6. Say Thank You

After getting that interview, send your interviewer a thank you note! A little gesture like that goes a long way. It makes you look more professional and it makes your interview much more memorable.  

Kristina Hipolito is a Chesapeake native and a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. As a Mass Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations, she has a passion for writing, traveling, and event planning. Her aspirations include one day moving to the big city and working in either the entertainment travel/leisure, or media industry as a PR Professional, Marketing Coordinator, or Event Planner. In her spare time, you can find her on campus running to her next meeting or updating her multiple social networking sites. Follow her on Twitter @ktinaah or read her blog kristinahipolito.blogspot.com!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!