This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Mom and Dad,

Thank you. Thank you for everything you both have done for me. I know I will never be able to repay you both for all the things you have given me, but I can only hope to be as good of parents as you two were. 

Thank you for coming to each and every one of my soccer games. After working all day, you both would come to my high school soccer games, all four years. Home or away, you guys would be there to cheer me on. Even if the games were an hour away, you guys would be there. Until I started working eight-hour shifts at my job, I never realized how tiring it is. I wake up just in time to get ready for work and come home tired as ever, ready to eat and then call it a night. But you guys didn’t do that. You both worked all day, and then would do anything and everything for me. You would take me to soccer practices and then take me to get something to eat after. But the most touching was coming to each and every one of my soccer games. 

Thank you for working so hard to provide for my brother and I. You both worked five days a week everyday of every year and still managed to do everything in between. 

Thank you for allowing me to make my own decisions and learn from my own mistakes. I know I wasn’t a perfect child, that was obvious, but you didn’t feel a need to shelter me. You let me live and learn, and make my own mistakes instead of trying to shield me from the world. Because of that, I am a better and stronger person.

Thank you for calming me down when my laptop broke in college, and doing everything you could to help me. When I woke up one morning and my laptop wouldn’t turn on, I freaked out. It was a Saturday and I had homework due the next day that I needed to work on. After realizing it wasn’t going to turn on, I called my parents in tears. I didn’t know what to do. They both calmed me down and I knew they were going to do everything in their power to help me, even from a hundred miles away. 

Thank you for letting me be my own person. So many parents these days try to mold their children into what they want them to be and push them into directions they aren’t meant for. My parents always let me be my own person and make my own decisions such as what college I wanted to attend and what major I wanted to choose.

Thank you for preparing me to succeed. Without your help, I don’t know where I would be today or what I would be doing. You both have pushed me to be the best person I can be.

Lastly, thank you for being the best possible parents you could be. I know I was difficult to handle, and you both did the best you could, and that’s all I could ever ask for.

Love,

Meagan

Photo credits: Cover photo, 1

Meagan is a Junior at Virginia Commonwealth University obtaining a degree in bachelor of Science (B.S) with a concentration in Health Science. Meagan would describe herself as a free spirit whose goal in life is to be happy. She is interested in natural and organic beauty products and enjoys fashion and makeup. Although she does not label herself as vegan, she tries to eat mostly plant-based. Meagan's career goal is to be a health and wellness writer for a company. She will be graduation in the year 2020. Currently, Meagan is an active She enjoys all things natural beauty and sustainability. She was born and raised in Northern Virginia where she lived with her Mom, Dad, and older brother who attends Virginia Tech.