Take Advantage Of These Volunteer Opportunities in RVA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

While the spring semester brings a new slew of classes and warmer weather, I always feel like there’s a lull that leads to boredom and a decline in my mental state as I anticipate summer. Finding low-budget and entertaining activities can get difficult as you can only go mini-golfing so many times before it gets old.

To curb my complaining about filling my time, my mom has always encouraged me to volunteer because “giving helps you to get outside of your head” — and, it’s free. While I frequently dismissed her efforts to help fill my time, I eventually gave it a shot.

In an attempt to suppress any boredom you may experience this semester, I’ve compiled a list of various volunteering opportunities around campus and the city.

Richmond VA at sunset
Original photo by Miriam Gibson
RVACAREs

According to their Instagram profile, “RVACARES is a humanitarian student organization at VCU that strives to provide community access to resources, exposure and support.”

In previous semesters, they’ve hosted multiple events to benefit the houseless community of Richmond, and this term, they’re expanding their efforts toward the community as a whole (including dogs). Toward the end of the semester, RVACARES will be hosting a Community Awareness Walk-a-thon during which they’ll distribute flyers for community members who don’t have access to social media or technology to find various resources such as shelters, food pantries, soup kitchens and job offers.

If you’re looking to get involved a little sooner, the club will also collaborate with the Dental Club to make oral hygiene care packages on February 22.

Richmond SPCA

The Richmond SPCA is a great way for animal lovers to fill their time throughout the spring and summer. Volunteers will be assigned to either Robins-Starr Humane Center or the Susan M. Markel Veterinary Hospital in addition to participating in community assignments, such as fundraising or hosting information tables. This organization is fantastic for busy students since Richmond SPCA volunteers need to commit to serving four hours of service each month during the course of four months. To get involved, you can join their waitlist and apply to be a volunteer beginning May 1.

Belmont Community Resource Services

For those looking for flexible volunteer hours and a way to get involved with the community, try the nonprofit organization Belmont Community Resource Services. Volunteers can provide help for both the Belmont Food Pantry or their on-site clothing donation center, The Closet. Their food pantry helps to address food insecurity in the community, while The Closet works to distribute clothing, shoes, home goods, toys and school supplies. According to their website, volunteers are needed most on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Visit their website for more information regarding specific events.

Food Recovery Network

For those of you searching for an on-campus opportunity, look into The Food Recovery Network. It is a nationwide organization that unites college students to fight food waste and hunger and a chapter was established at VCU in 2021.

The Food Recovery Network is fighting to decrease food insecurity in addition to promoting sustainability. If you’re booked and busy, the organization’s website has quick activities that take anywhere from one to three hours and can be completed on your own or with VCU’s chapter.

American Red Cross

The American Red Cross is always looking for more volunteers and frequently has events on campus. They’ll be hosting a blood drive on campus at the end of the month at The Pace Center. If you’re looking to do more with this organization, you can apply on the Red Cross’ website to become a volunteer and teach first aid and CPR, organize youth programs or participate in emergency and disaster response groups. If you’re unsure about which opportunity sounds right for you, try taking their volunteer opportunity quiz!

Claudia Stewart is currently a senior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in art history. She enjoys watching rom-coms, baking double chocolate chip cookies with her roommate, and finding the best spot for sushi in her free time. Stewart loves writing about pop culture, fashion, and beauty.