This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This past Saturday was the College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational (CUPSI) finals, and VCU placed second in the nation right behind the winners, NYU. YAY!

Throughout the four days of competition I was able to go and support VCU’s team, “Good Clear Sound” at each of their bouts. I was even able to watch other school’s bouts and judge in one of them. Slam poetry is nothing like I’ve ever experienced before. The bravery that these poets have is commendable. They are so open with each of their stories, many of which are very heavy and emotional. One of my favorite things about the competition was the overall support that everyone provided. It didn’t matter what team the poet performing was on, every single person in the audience fully supported them and appreciated the art that they were sharing with everyone. Even after the competition the poets would congratulate each other and share their appreciation for their poems.

The energy that CUPSI brought to VCU was amazing, and I’m sad that it’s over. I’m so thankful to have been a part of this whole experience and am SO proud of our slam team. Congrats Good Clear Sound!

Picture Credit: Tobi Oluwo

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!