Random Acts of Kindness Everyone Can Start Doing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Do you have a loved one that you want to tell how much you appreciate them? Maybe a friend, coworker or your favorite barista? It’s never the wrong time to start showing more compassion to others and it doesn’t even have to be someone you know. Being nice and helping others not only makes them feel cared for, it makes you feel better, too. Performing little random acts of kindness is something everyone should start doing if they haven’t already. Here are a few things that you can begin:

1. Clean a mutual space in your home.

If you live with friends, family or roommates, there are common mutual spaces that pick up a lot of foot traffic. The kitchen, living room and eating area are good places to start. Maybe wash dishes that aren’t yours, or vacuum even if it’s not your designated duty. Even though these chores are expected to be completed by everyone in the living situation, it still is nice to pick up a little extra for everyone to come home to. 

2. Surprise a friend or coworker with their favorite coffee.  

If you show up out of the blue with someone’s favorite drink, it not only shows that you pay attention to their likes and dislikes, it shows that you think about them even when you’re not together. Often times we forget to show appreciation to those we are close to because we see them frequently. This small act of kindness will brighten everyone’s day. 

3. Donate old clothes.  

For a lot of people, their closets and dressers are full of unworn clothing. From sweaters and jackets to shirts and skirts, there are items you could donate to local stores and organizations. Not only will it de-clutter your wardrobe, you’ll be helping those in need. Scan your closet and pick out pieces you haven’t worn all season. Chances are you probably won’t wear them next year either. Someone else could get a lot more use out of them. 

4. Pay for someone’s food behind you in the drive thru.  

Next time you’re going to Chick-fil-A or McDonald’s, let the cashier know you’re going to pay for the car behind you. A small gesture could make a stranger’s day. That person could’ve only had $5 for lunch, maybe they were having a really bad day or even just getting an afternoon snack. Be kind to those around you, even if you don’t know them. 

5. Start a cuss jar.  

If you and your roommates, friends or family want to get better about your language, start a jar where you put in money each time you say a dirty word. Rank the words as to how much you would put in for each thing you say. The money you collect over time can be donated to a local charity or organization of your choosing. Not only will you be actively trying to change a bad habit, you’ll be raising money for people in need. 

6. Leave a bag of quarters taped to a vending machine.  

How awesome would it be to walk over to get a soda or snack and see that someone left money for you to indulge? Show the next person to use the vending machine a small act of kindness by taping a dollar, or even two, to the glass. It’ll brighten their day. 

Start with these ways to show compassion to others and then think of your own ideas on how to pay it forward! It never hurts to be nice, so why not start now? 

Cover photo by author

Madison is a senior at VCU and is double concentrating in Print/Online and Broadcast Journalism with a minor in Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies. She is kind of obsessed with Kate Spade bags, enjoys being near the ocean, dreams of owning a flower shop and can't live without her Canon. She likes writing about topics that impact people and shoots portraits in her free time.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!