This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear 9 a.m. classes,

I thought I could do this. I really thought I could. In high school, I was waking up at 7 a.m., taking seven classes and going to bed at 2 a.m. So, a 9 a.m. should be a piece of cake. There is just something about you that has managed to steal a little piece of my soul and I cannot for the life of me, despite my feverishly searching day and night, find.

You have ruined my life in more ways the one. The potential for sleeping in is out the window. Forget tequila Tuesday, wasted Wednesday or thirsty Thursday, the only thing I will be drinking in copious amounts is coffee and even that isn’t enough to keep me going to class. I can’t enjoy a nice morning stroll as I am always racing to class.

The peaceful tranquility of waking up early, sitting outside and doing homework or simply reading is not a privilege I possess. Instead, I am jolted awake every morning by the impending thought that I must walk outside in a few short minutes just to go to an hour class across campus.

Because of you, I am never dressed properly. I would like to dress up. I would like to show off my sense of style. I really would but because of your selfish antics, I am left trudging to class in an oversized sweatshirt and dirty sweatpants. Even if I wanted to dress up, I still would face the discomfort of being too hot. You see, I cannot plan accordingly because it is always 10 degrees colder in the morning. I must always dress for cooler temperatures only to discover the beating sun after class. I am constantly in a state of discomfort and sorrow because of you and it is not appreciated.

If it weren’t for the fact that attendance is mandatory I would probably not show up. Let’s face it, you probably shouldn’t exist. To further my argument, my professor and the teacher’s assistant are perpetually late by at least five minutes. You should not be offered and frankly, I am tired of your constant, draining attitude.

Sincerely,

A tired girl in a 9 a.m. class 

Emily Holter is a Freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She studies Mass Communications with a concentration in Print and Online Journalism. She is an avid reader of books, a lover of all things Cher, and a flower enthusiast. Most days, she is tucked away in a coffee shop, sipping on her black coffee and enjoying light conversation.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!