Style > Beauty

Makeup Products Every Brown Girl Needs To Try At Least Once

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Whenever a new makeup product surfaces on TikTok that has everyone vowing it’s the next best thing, the only thing that goes through my mind is if it’s brown girl certified. Regarding makeup, I tend to play the classic game of whether this product will make me look ghostly or too orange. Since starting my makeup journey, I’ve accumulated a list of brown girl-friendly products tested by me and countless other brown creators on TikTok. 

Face

Personally, I love a good dewy, glowy look. On the low end of face products, we have the True Match Nude Hyaluronic Tinted Serum and the Photo Focus Dewy Foundation. I love the Loreal’s tinted serum and found that it has a good shade range. The only downfall with the product is the fact that the applicator can be a nightmare to work with. In my experience, I’ve had to physically put the dropper against my face since the dropper barely picks up any product.

Depending on your skin type, both the Maybelline Fit Me Dewy + Smooth Foundation and Matte + Poreless Foundation are well-loved staples in the drugstore makeup aisle. They boast a satisfactory number of shades and formulas that I find could rival even the higher-end options. The medium coverage and lightweight finish are perfect for summery looks. 

On the high end, we have the It Cosmetics CC+ Cream. They have a decent shade range, and the product is relatively thick for a cc cream so a little goes a long way. It’s certainly full coverage but leaves a dewy, skin-like finish, really taking “your skin but better” to another level. It also includes SPF 50+. 

Another high-end foundation that I love is the Haus Labs Triclone Skin Tech Medium Coverage Foundation. Their shade range is one of the most impressive on the market today, catering to a number of undertones and even including artistry shades. As the name suggests, it is a medium buildable coverage foundation with a natural finish. 

Concealer

I’ve heard so many good reviews about the Hydrating Camo Concealer. It’s worth mentioning that it can appear patchy on some, so it all depends on your skin type. I’ve been using the Kosas Super Creamy + Brightening Concealer for the longest time and I love how easily blendable it is. It’s a bit on the pricey side but I ordered my first bottle two years ago and it’s still going strong. While they do cater to darker skin tones, the shade range could be better.

Blush

In general, when it comes to blushes, the colors I usually go for are berry, mauve, purple and corals. These are the colors that I find best compliment my skin tone. My all-time favorite blush right now is Rare Beauty’s Soft Pinch Liquid Blush. Its rich pigmentation and creamy formula is some of the reasons why it’s been solidified in so many “holy grail” lists.  “Encourage” is my go-to shade along with “Joy.” I’ve also heard good reviews about their purple shade, “Faith.” 

On the affordable end is the Milani Baked Blush. Again, another highly pigmented product that can act as both a blush and highlighter due to the superfine, luminous pigment. While their shades lean more towards pinks and corals rather than mauves or purples, I find that they work well with darker features. Additionally, the shade “dolce pink” has been likened to the cult favorite NARS Blush in “orgasm.”

Bronzer

Though it is not the cheapest, the Juvia’s Place Bronzed Duo is a top contender for bronzer between the low and high-end ones I’ve tried. It’s a powder bronzer with high pigmentation and a really good shade range. 

In all honesty, I am not an avid user of bronzer as I simply use concealer to brighten certain areas of my face and allow the warmth of my skin to act as the “bronzer” in places like my cheekbones for that sun-kissed look. 

Lips

The same color palette for blushes applies to lips. Berry, maroons and mauves are shades I typically go for. However, this doesn’t mean that brown girls should entirely avoid pink. A trick you can utilize when it comes to pinker shades is to outline your lips in a dark brown or nude liner and blend it in with the pink shade. 

The Nyx Butter Glosses are my favorite low-end products for lipglosses. The shade range is immaculate and some of my favorites are “Brownie Drip,” “Rocky Road” and “Spiked Toffee.” As a whole, Nyx is a good makeup line to shop for when it comes to lip products.

The Merit Tinted Lip Oil is one of my favorite high-end products that are worth your buck. I typically use lip oil in the shade “Sangria” for my everyday makeup look. It’s a deep, maroon red that complements my skin nicely. “Taupe” is also a good nude shade for brown girls. 

Eyeshadow

I don’t do any complicated eyeshadow for my everyday makeup look, but when I do want to elevate my eyes I tend to use Colourpop’s Super Shock Shadow in the shade “Ritz.” I got it as a cheaper dupe for Urban Decay’s Moondust Eyeshadow. I love the glittery look the Colourpop’s eyeshadow gives me and it’s such a simple but subtle way to add more to your makeup look. 

I’ve also found that you can utilize hyperpigmentation around your eyes as a good base for any eyeshadow look or even use that alone as your eyeshadow. 

However, when it comes to more full-glam eyeshadow looks or makeup that I would trust to last, I reach for the PATRICK TA Major Dimension Eyeshadow Palette or the Natasha Denona Glam Eyeshadow Palette. I admit that the price tags on these are outrageous, but I find the color payoff, pigmentation and lasting power to make up for it. Plus, it’s easy to make the most out of these palettes because they last me years. 

Tasnia Zakir (she/her) is a psychology major at VCU and part of the editorial team at VCU's HerCampus. Her interests include pop culture, film, mental health, and literature.