Let’s Talk About Imposter Syndrome In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For many, college is a time in their lives when they grow as a person, make mistakes, develop passions and take risks. Sometimes it can be challenging to be constantly surrounded by student success. There have been times in my college career when I’ve felt like I was not doing enough or comparing my successes to those of others.

At the end of the day, you should not be comparing yourself to others as everyone has their own unique journeys to success. If you’ve ever felt as though your successes are a result of luck rather than your own hard work or that you are not deserving of opportunities, you may be experiencing imposter syndrome. Know that you are not alone, many people experience imposter syndrome in their lives and there are ways to cope.

Imposter syndrome is the feeling of not experiencing success internally despite being high-performing externally. Imposter syndrome is often accompanied by feelings of being a fraud, undeserving or doubting your skills. Let’s talk about some ways that you can help manage imposter syndrome. 

1. Share how you’re feeling

Whether it be with family, close friends or a professional, having an outlet to talk about these feelings is very important. Chances are that someone in your life is also experiencing imposter syndrome or has experienced imposter syndrome in the past. Oftentimes, imposter syndrome is worsened by holding all of these emotions inside which further isolates you. 

1. Celebrate your accomplishments

Take the time to recognize and celebrate your success. Even if it seems small to you, be sure to find some way to treat yourself. Share these positive feelings with your loved ones. The right people will be more than happy to celebrate and share the joy of your accomplishments. 

1. Learn from the people you are comparing yourself to

It’s natural to compare yourself to others. Others will have strengths that you don’t and you’ll have strengths they don’t. Try asking them for advice. Let them know that you admire a certain quality or skill set of theirs. It will make both of you feel better.  

1. Positive self-talk

Research has shown that the words you say to yourself have the power to change your internal narrative. Practicing positive self-talk can help boost your self-confidence. It may feel awkward at first to practice affirmations, but the results are so worth it! Keep at it. 

1. Embrace the feeling, and use it to your advantage.

The truth is, it is gonna be challenging to completely get rid of your imposter syndrome. There will always be times when you doubt your abilities. Prove to yourself that time and time again you have always come out on top.

The times when you felt at your worst, you always picked yourself up. Remind yourself you got this. Let your negative feelings fuel you rather than hinder you. 

I am here to tell you that YOU are the reason for your success. YOUR hard work is why you are here today. YOU deserve all that is good in this world! YOU are more than enough.

Remember to take care of yourself, treat yourself and give yourself grace. We are all learning and when times are tough, take it day by day. Even if you are not okay right now, give it time, and eventually everything will work out in your favor. 

Hi, my name is Namitha and I am a sophomore at VCU majoring in Biology. I believe writing has the power to move people and make the world a better place. I love watching shows, specifically murder mysteries. In my free time, you'll find me at the mall, gym, or napping on my couch.