timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

I’m No Longer Skinny, But I’m Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Trigger Warning: Mentions of suicide, eating disorders, and self harm.

I was a skinny kid.  My mom used to joke that I would never be over 100 pounds.  My friends were jealous that I could eat anything and not gain weight.  Being skinny became a personality trait; it was who I was.

I never worked to be skinny. My dad told me that it was in my genetics to be skinny and slightly muscular. So I ignored fruits and vegetables, instead opting for pizza and french fries and ice cream. I assumed I would be this way until I was an adult.

Then, when I was 16, I was hospitalized for a week for suicidal ideation. I had been severely depressed for weeks before. I denied myself food as a form of self harm; I thought so little of myself that I didn’t believe I deserved to eat. While hospitalized, my medications were adjusted. I wanted to eat, but I felt nauseous at the thought of food. I lost even more weight.

I don’t remember how much I weighed when I was discharged. I was skeletal, still unable to eat very much because of my meds. But I remember walking around in a sports bra and shorts and my friends commented on how good I looked. They said I had abs, that my waist looked great, that I had a thigh gap. They were comments that I was used to; I’d heard them my whole life. But I took them to heart.

Eventually I began gaining weight back. I hit 100 pounds again. Then I hit 110 pounds, then 120. My “abs” disappeared, my waist all but disappeared, my thighs became thicker.  I was no longer the skinny little kid who could eat anything without thinking twice about the nutritional value. Instead, I hated myself every time I ate anything. I was on the verge of developing an eating disorder multiple times.

It wasn’t until two years later that I began to realize that I wasn’t just skinny when I was discharged, I was malnourished. My mom was putting up pictures for my graduation party when I saw one of myself from days after I was released from the hospital. I made a comment about how skinny I was. My shorts were hanging loosely off my hips, my face was slim and I could see how people could think that I had abs.

My mom wasn’t having it.  “You were a shell of yourself,” she said.  “You were a skeleton.”

I still think about how I looked before I was hospitalized. Whenever I walk by a mirror, I turn to the side and look at my stomach. I’ve become more comfortable with wearing crop tops and showing off my body a little bit more. Whenever I yearn for a flat stomach or a small waist, I simply remember how I felt about myself in the days when I had those things and think about if my mental health is worth a “good” body.

Abby is a forensic chemistry major from Michigan. She enjoys reading, writing, math, and watching movies with her friends on the weekends. One of her favorite topics of discussion is social injustice in the world and what we can do to stop it.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!