Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

How to Stay Sane During Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic has sent the world into a panic over the past few weeks. For everyone’s safety, it has been recommended we practice social distancing. Social distancing means we need to avoid gathering in large crowds, such as in most public areas and staying home as much as possible. In accordance with this, many colleges around the U.S. have switched to an online learning format for the foreseeable future. Since isolation can be a difficult time for our mental health, here are some ways you can take care of yourself during social distancing.

Clean/Organize

Having a clean and organized living space keeps your mind healthy. But when you’re cooped up in your home it can get messy. Which is why you must maintain a clutter-free environment as much as possible. Also, make sure you maintain a clean environment is good for your physical health.

Enjoy Nature

It can be hard to stay home all the time. If you feel that you need to get out of the house the best way to do that is getting out in nature. Hang out in your backyard, go hiking, etc. Just make sure if you do go hiking you keep away from park benches, picnic tables and such and make sure to take some hand sanitizer with you.

Develop a New Hobby

Remember that thing you always wanted to learn but never had the time to. Well, now you do! Maybe it is knitting or origami or dancing; in the world of YouTube, learning a new hobby can be easier than you think. Use this time as an opportunity to learn something new.

Get Some Excercise

With gyms not being an option anymore, getting exercise can be tough. But since we are gonna be home so much, it is important that we get a little bit of exercise daily. Grab a yoga mat and do some exercises at home. There’s plenty of great exercise apps and YouTube videos to help you work out at home. A personal favorite is the Workout for Women app, it offers a variety of 7-15 minute workouts that are easy to do at home 

Group Video Chats

Social distancing does not mean we have to lose touch with our friends. It can feel extremely depressing when you’re social distancing, especially if you live alone, so it’s important to keep in touch with people. Make sure you Skype, FaceTime, Video chat, Call, etc with your friends and family.

Maintain a Routine

Staying home for a long period can make us lose a sense of time, which is why you must keep a routine. Sleep/wake up when you normally do and work when you normally do. Keeping a routine will keep us healthy and ready to get back to our normal lives once the social distancing period ends.

Limit Screen Time 

This might seem a bit difficult considering school and work are completely online for the majority of us now. But that’s exactly why it’s important to limit our screen times. We will be spending a lot more time online than usual at this period and it’s important to give our eyes and minds a rest from the screens when we are not working.

Sanjana Ravulapalli is a Junior at VCU, double majoring in Political science and Digital Journalism. She currently serves as the Vice President and Events Director for Her Campus at VCU. She loves art, theatre, writing, politics and exploring Richmond. She hopes to find herself working for a major media outlet in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!