This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Registering for classes is always a stressful time. If you’re lucky, you get all of the classes you wanted, but if the odds aren’t in your favor you’re probably stuck taking four classes on a Friday. Here are four useful tips to help make the process a little less stressful. 

Check Out Degree Works

Looking through Degree Works can give you a good idea of what you need for your foundation courses and what classes you need to take for your major courses. Try looking through the website and write down which classes you need and if you need any prerequisites. 

Make An Appointment With Your Advisor

Making an appointment with your advisor is a requirement if you’re a freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. Unfortunately, you can’t register for classes until you have met with your advisor. Sometimes they will place a hold on your account until you have scheduled an appointment. While this can be frustrating, there’s always a silver lining. Meeting with your advisor can help you navigate Degree Works and get a deeper understanding of the classes you decided on in when you checked out Degree Works. Being prepared to meet your advisor makes the meeting go by faster and helps your advisor understand which classes you’re interested in. 

Make Your Schedule

VCU has a handy schedule planner that can be found under eServices. To find the schedule planner first log in to your eServices account, after you have done that click on the student tab. Then, click on the registration tab and the schedule planner is the second option. This allows you to pick out which classes you want on your schedule and what times work best for you. They tell you when you have schedule conflicts and tell you where the class will be held and what professor will be teaching the class. This is a really helpful tool when planning your classes because you can decide when you want to take your classes, and you can choose who you want to teach the class.

Register!

Finally, when you’re ready to register you can put your schedule from the schedule planner in your shopping cart, and then with one click, you are now registered for all your classes. It’s really that easy. 

I have used these tips to register for all of my classes and it has not failed me yet. Try using these tips to make life a little easier for you!

Sarah is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University and is majoring in Mass Communications and minoring in Fashion Merchandising. Sarah enjoys reading, writing, and discussing sustainable fashion brands. Sarah spends most of her time, and money, on Depop fueling her shopping addiction. Follow her on instagram @Sarah_parker9 and Twitter @_parker_9
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!