This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For some, it is very difficult to get into a routine. For others, it doesn’t take much. Personally, it takes a while for something in my life to become habitual. I am going to walk through how I got to where I am today in my meditation practices. I meditate at least 10 minutes a day in order to keep my mind at ease. And if I forget for a few days, everything is off. For me, meditation is time to myself where I can reflect on my thoughts, emotions, and actions. It is time that I use to remind me of the acceptance and love that I have for myself and others. 

A good first step to starting your meditation journey is to figure out why you need it. Anxiety, stress and anger are common feelings that can cause the mind to long for a break. During my high school years, I would get so overwhelmed by homework that my mother introduced me to meditation practice. She made me and my brother sit down and breathe until she stopped the calming music. This was my mind’s first taste of peace and silence. Being an angsty teen is stressful for the mind. Everyone’s journey into meditation is different, but that is what makes it so unique. My second step was being curious about how this had such a way of calming my every muscle.

neon sign, pink color that says breathe.
Photo by Fabian Møller from Unsplash

I did a lot of research on how meditation is a way of training your brain to slow down. I then began my journey and downloaded an app called Calm. There are others such as Insight Timer. These apps contained many free guided meditations that helped me pinpoint what exactly I needed to be saying in my mind as I practiced. Eventually, I got to the point where I didn’t need to be guided. I now just play some aura boosting music and close my eyes. Before I know it, 30 minutes have gone by, and I feel like I just woke up from a nap on a cloud.

A cool exercise that could help with beginning regular meditation is creating a mindscape that you can go to when you practice. Mine is just a blank white space with giant old-timey televisions stacked in a circle. This is where I get any wisdom or guidance from the universe and energies around me. Creating that space will give the mind a place to go that is the same every time you meditate. This will also aid you in getting into a daily routine. My meditation journey is different from everyone’s, but I thought it would be cool to share with beginners as an example.

I have made many of my friends sit down and meditate with me when I can feel that their mind needs it. They have since loved practicing and have started a journey of their own. I love sharing the wisdom that my mother raised me with. I hope that this helps you find an easy routine for calming your mind and silencing your thoughts, even if only for a moment. 

Ray Wondracek is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University majoring in Fashion Design. They have been passionate about fashion from a very early age. You can probably always find them in a thrift store, binging "New Girl", or sewing.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!