books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

How to De-Stress During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Happy finals week, Rams! It’s that time of the year where the library is filled with anxiety as students repeatedly refresh their page to check their grades. Finals week is the most stressful week of the semester, so it’s important to de-stress so you don’t overwhelm yourself before an exam.

Make a Playlist 

One of the best ways to unwind and relax is to just jam out to music. Create a playlist with your favorite songs and take breaks as you study to sing along and dance. It will make you feel a million times better because you just let loose! Music also helps motivate me to work harder and crush that final. My two favorite songs during finals week are “Hall of Fame” by The Script and “Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson.

Exercise 

Okay to be quite honest, I have not tried this one yet just because I get a tad bit lethargic during this time of year. However, there are so many studies that prove that exercising can reduce stress. Go on a jog before you meet up with your study group or just walk around campus taking in all the fresh air. Exercising causes endorphins to release in our brain which is a natural painkiller! It reduces anxiety and will make you feel better about yourself.

Get That Comfort Food 

When I feel overwhelmed for classes, I don’t necessarily enjoy eating fruits and vegetables, instead, I would much rather prefer chocolate and potato chips. It’s totally okay to go shopping before your finals and stock up on your favorite foods! That way you have a nice snack and you just feel better about life when munching on your absolute favorite food.

Make a List 

This trick may not work for everyone but I find it extremely useful! Sometimes when I feel overwhelmed, I like to make a list of things I need to complete by the end of the day and that way I feel organized and committed. If your final isn’t for another five days, then make a list of materials you have to study each day leading up to the exam. Lists are a great way to prioritize work and to remember all you have to do! 

Sleep

So many students lose hours of sleep during finals week and the truth is⁠ that won’t help you, it’ll actually be a disadvantage. I know it is a satisfying feeling to go to bed after you’ve reviewed all your chapters for the exam but if it’s getting too late and you have an 8 a.m. final then I’d stop and go to sleep. Not sleeping causes your brain function to decrease and you’re more likely to make stupid mistakes on your exam then getting at least five to six hours of sleep before.

I know finals week is hard and occasionally we forget to take care of ourselves because we are so engrossed in getting our desired grade in the course. It’s great to be motivated, but please don’t forget your mental health while you do that. It is so important to keep your mind relaxed and to be happy. The more pessimistic you are, the worse the chances you have of getting your desired grade. Remember, you are what you are. Don’t compare yourself to someone else and make yourself feel bad. Do your best and forget the rest!

Good luck!

Rea is a senior majoring in Biological Sciences on the Pre-Medicine track at VCU! Her favorite things include binge watching Netflix, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family! She is an advocate for women's health with hopes of becoming a physician in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!