How The Book “The Secret” Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Before we start, let it be known that I have recommended this book to everyone and anyone who has ever wanted to better themselves or their circumstances. “The Secret,” by Rhonda Byrne, is truly the most uncomplicated, simplified guide to unlearning and reteaching yourself how to love the life you have (in all its glory, good or bad) and the one you will soon come to know. If you ever wanted to know how manifesting and all that spiritual mambo jumbo works and how you can use it in your own life, this book truly is the secret that will help you understand and use it. 

There is a film documentary on this book, but it’s like three hours, and honestly, when my parents tried to force me to watch it (before I had even known there was a book version), I literally fell asleep. Mind you, I was in middle school, and it wasn’t exactly a “light” documentary. Fast forward to my sophomore year of college, my great aunt hands me a book with, “To my Niya, with love and blessings. November 2019” signed on the cover page. She had told me it was her favorite book after the Quran (we’re Muslim btw), which is our holy book. That sparked my interest because I was like “…your favorite book…after one that is incomparable to anything else? Aight lemme see what you’re talking about.” After just 50 pages, everything started changing in my life.

Nappy

There are tips and tricks in the book that assist you in figuring out what it is you truly want out of life and how the 1% of people have figured this secret out, and it is the reason for their social, economical standing today. If you want to get rich, if you want to get your anxiety under control, if you’re interested in opening doors you never even knew existed for you, this book makes it easy. I know this sounds like an ad or some kind of paid promotion, but I wouldn’t vouch for this book the way I do, had this not done all these things for me. I’ve never been so sure of where I am going in life and what I will be doing, I’ve met people (after applying the tools from this book) from pretty big places that I have no explanation to how that interaction even happened. I thought I was fine before the book, but now, life after it is so much clearer and lighter. I can’t believe it took me so long to actually pay attention.

There aren’t many things I can say in full confidence (I can argue two sides of literally every argument), but if I had to throw away every single “self-help” book I’ve ever owned or thought of buying just to keep this one, I would. You literally need nothing else but the words on the pages of this one. Rhonda Byrne collected information and tips from literally everywhere in the world (every continent, even different tribes) to show us what it is we should be paying attention to, and what changes need to be made in our lives if we want to prosper in the lives we were given. We all go through some pretty tough times sometimes, and this book doesn’t negate that, it just provides you another lens in which to see your life through. It’s kind of wild for a stranger to ask you to trust them, but trust me, and if any of what I’ve said interests you, see what this book can do for you.

Niya Ahmed is currently in junior year of college at VCU and hopes to graduate with a bachelors degree in English and a minor in creative writing, at least for now. She is a advocate of furthering her education as well as the education of her peers. She enjoys all things media such as movies, social media apps and music. On any given day you can find her with her headphones in or a book in her hand. Niya has been writing for all her life although it is recently she has began to publish publicly. To find more of Niya follow her Instagram: niyaahmed22 or on Twitter: niya_ahmed18
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!