Greek of the Week: Borey Heng from Lambda Chi Alpha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This week’s Greek of the Week is Borey Heng from Lambda Chi Alpha! In addition to being very active on campus, Borey loves to socialize with other Greek organizations and bring together the funamentals of what Greek life has taught him. 

***

Borey Heng

Fraternity: Lambda Chi Alpha

Chapter: Pi Tau

Position: Social Chair. I plan the mixers, social events and formal.

Mascot/Symbol: A lion holding a white rose

Motto: Every Man A Man

Colors: Green, gold and purple

Quick Facts about Borey:

Age: 20

Major: Chemistry with a concentration in biochemistry

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Richmond, Virginia

Relationship Status: Taken

Borey’s Favorites: 

Color: Green

Animal: Either an owl or a wolf

Designer: Ralph Lauren

Season: Autumn

Food: Chipotle…or fried rice!

Book: Harry Potter — all of them.

Why did you choose to come to VCU?

Two reasons: first, I really enjoyed the diversity that VCU offered and two, because it was honestly the cheapest option, I wanted to save money and so did my parents. 

Why did you decide to join Lambda Chi Alpha?

The guys were really chill and the chapter president at that time told me all the perks and why I should join and I just went with it!

Describe a time when your brothers were really there for you.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to continue college and after careful consideration I decided to come back for another semester and my brothers kept me in check and forced me to attend mandatory study hours, making sure I was keeping my grades up. Since they were there for me, I had a deeper appreciation for the fraternity. 

How do you respond to people who are afraid to join a Greek organization due to rumors of hazing?

VCU is really good on enforcing the no-hazing rule. Lambda Chi Alpha also has a no-hazing policy and has condemned it since 1928.

How do you respond to people who say you are “paying for your friends”?

I would say that if I honestly had to pay for my friends I wouldn’t be paying nearly enough, because these guys are the closest friends I’ve ever had because they seem to understand me and are always there for me and sometimes not even money can buy that.

How has Lambda Chi Alpha changed your college experience?

I definitely gained more friends than I could have on my own because Lambda Chi gave me the opportunity to reach out and meet the rest of Greek life. It has also given me a lot of connections with my current job.

Are you involved in any other organizations on campus?

Two. I am involved in FACT which stands for Filipino Americans Coming Together and it is a student organization aiming to enrich the Filipino culture. I am also part of Camp Kesem which is an organization that sends children who have parent(s) that currently have or have had cancer so that they can enjoy the life of a regular kid without having to think of what their parents(s) are going through.

Who is a celebrity you look up to and why?

Jeremy Lin, because he went to Harvard and instead of becoming a doctor or a lawyer, he chose his true dream and became a professional basketball player and that is really inspiring.

What is your favorite spot in Richmond and why?

Maymont! There is a little bit of everything.

What are some things you like to do in your free time?

I like to go on the Internet, listen to music, take naps, Netflix and watch funny videos on YouTube.

What do you hope to accomplish with your degree?

I hope to work in a laboratory one day so I can make future medicines, vaccines, or perhaps even combat lung or breast cancer.

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!