Getting Back Into Your Groove After Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Going back to classes after winter break is hard. Probably harder than going back after summer break, because you just finished classes and finals and maybe you were able to have a small vacation from work, but as soon as you start enjoying it, you have to go right back to school. It sucks but you can make it a little better by getting into a routine and learning what worked and what didn’t work from last semester. 

As you go through your years in university and hit your classes that are more focused on your major, especially your capstone classes, they don’t give you a small period to get back into classes, they hit the ground running. So here are some tips on how to master your schedule and get into your groove again as you go into your spring semester.

Get A Planner

A new semester (and a new calendar year) means you need to get a new calendar and fill it in with all of the upcoming due dates, events and exams that your professors have already given to you. Setting it up before the semester begins and before due dates start hitting too hard. You can get a physical planner and some colorful pens, or a digital planner that lets you sync across your phone and laptop. The choice simply depends on your lifestyle and how involved you want your overall planning experience to be. Some people prefer bullet journals because they’re more flexible and customizable, but a digital calendar and planner can reduce the number of notebooks you have to carry around and allows you to have it at the tips of your fingers.

Set A Schedule (And Stick To It!)

Creating a schedule that you can follow on a regular basis allows for a more routine lifestyle and can be an easy way to implement healthier options into your day to day life. If you know you’re going to be in bed by 11 p.m. and wake up at 7 a.m. the next day, you’re almost guaranteed to get eight hours of sleep. Within the other 16 hours of the day, you can schedule in your time for classes, trips to the gym and even when you’re going to unwind and relax for the evening. It allows you to know exactly what is going to happen and can easily be modified for when you know you will be having a bigger event coming up (i.e. midterms that require extra studying).

Go To Class!

I cannot stress this one enough. It may be early, you might be tired, and your bed is probably a lot more comfortable than the seats in your lecture halls, but going to class is essential for getting and maintaining good grades and excelling in your studies. If you aren’t in class, you don’t get the full experience of what the professor is lecturing on or if they give out helpful hints as to what will be on the exams. You also set a bad example to your professor if you are missing within the first days of the course and don’t make a good impression, especially when you could be using your absences for a more crucial time, like when you get sick or are taking a mental health day. Making a good impression with your professor is crucial, especially at the end of the semester when you need to make up a missing assignment or your grade rounded up from 79.8% to 80%. 

Image Credit: 1

Maia is a senior at VCU double majoring in Print/Online Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. She loves to write about fashion and beauty and spends her free time reading, writing, and taking naps.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!