This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s easy to think that slapping on a new face mask will fix everything: the fact that you’re late for class, that giant pimple protruding on your forehead and even your most depressing and dark thoughts. While all these beliefs about face masks are generally false, face masks can be extremely beneficial to your skin’s overall health and glow.

In my experience, sometimes knowing exactly what a face mask did for you once you wash it off is difficult. You’re left with what seems like skin that is just well washed after putting some sticky stuff (the mask) on it. Face masks are packed with ingredients that specifically target different troubling skin concerns such as oiliness or redness.

The main skin types include, but are not limited to, oily, dry, combination and normal. Subcategories of the main skin types tend to deal more with specific skin issues such as acne.

For oily skin, I recommend something that contains clay to draw impurities out of the skin and balances its oil ratio. Clinique’s City Block Purifying Charcoal Clay Mask doubles as a scrub. It removes all dead skin and dirt from the surface of the skin after masking and purifies during the masking process. The addition of charcoal helps to penetrate deeper into pores as well. This mask has almost a perfect 5-Star review on Sephora and is recommended for use one to two times a week. It turns a pale blue color when it’s time to remove it, just in case you lose track of time.

Dry skin needs hydration, duh. The brand Farmacy is sold at Sephora and is created using natural ingredients combined with skin science. The brand’s Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask with Echinacea GreenEnvy™ is acceptable for all skin types and features several special ingredients to repair and moisturize your skin. Echinacea GreenEnvy™ honey heightens the hydrating and purifying benefits of honey and is full of potent natural antioxidants. It is also made by bees that live on Farmacy’s farm. Honey, propolis and royal jelly support skin renewal for a younger appearance. Essential B Vitamins help to smooth dry skin and renew its look. Lastly, glycerin attracts moisture to the skin and provides hydrating effects for a moist, supple skin appearance.

Combination skin is notoriously the most difficult skin to properly nourish just because it needs the best of both worlds when it comes to skin treatment. Saturday Skin’s Spotlight Brightening Sheet Mask delivers hydration for the dry patches on your face and purification of the oily parts. Saccharomyces ferment nourishes, bilberry extract helps to prevent free radical damage and has soothing benefits, aloe leaf extract soothes and moisturizes skin while helping reduce the appearance of blemishes and the Cha-7 es complex is an exclusive peptide formula that supports skin’s natural regeneration process.

Skin concerns don’t have to be a recurring nightmare with the help of an occasional face mask. Head to your nearest beauty store and check out these helpful new masks!

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3

Madeline Wheeler is a journalist major with a focus in print and online journalism at VCU. In her free time, she enjoys drinking floral teas, going to underground concerts in smoky basements, and hunting for keys to the past in antique stores.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!