Culture > News

Everything You Need to Know About the Coronavirus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has been seeing Coronavirus updates spamming her social media and news updates this year. Upon extensive research, here are the answers to all your burning questions about the novel Coronavirus! 

What is Coronavirus?

According to the World Health Organization, Coronaviruses (CoV) are a family of viruses that cause illnesses that vary in severity. Upon infection, people can get sick with something ranging from something as simple as a cold to the dangerous Novel Coronavirus (nCoV) that has been flooding the daily news cycle.

This Novel Coronavirus was first detected in Wuhan City, China in December of 2019. Since then, it has spread internationally and the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee has deemed this situation a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). 

What are the symptoms, and is there a cure?

According to the World Health Organization, symptoms of the Novel Coronavirus include fever, cough, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. In more severe cases, nCoV has been causing kidney failure, pneumonia and even death. 

There is currently no cure for nCoV. However, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, current patients are being treated through supportive care to help relieve specific symptoms. As of Feb. 15, 2020, according to the Nature Research Journal, there are more than 80 clinical trials underway to test potential coronavirus treatments in China. 

Why should I care?

As of Feb. 11 2020, according to the United Nations, there have been 1,017 deaths in China due to this outbreak. There are also 393 active cases in 24 other countries around the world. This is also now a global health crisis and has been deemed a Public Health Emergency of International Concern since there is no vaccine or anti-viral for this disease.

How likely am I to get it? 

Although the cases in the US are limited and being properly monitored by the CDC and WHO, the potential public health threat is high. This virus has caused over 1000 deaths and has spread quickly, making this an international threat to public safety and health. It is difficult to know how this situation will unfold, but the potential risks of this disease depend on the public’s exposure to this disease. Even though it seems relatively unlikely to get this disease in the US, it is important to stay vigilant in efforts to prevent infection and follow CDC prevention guidelines.

What can I do to prevent infection?

In order to prevent infection, the CDC recommends regular and proper handwashing, making sure to cover your cough/sneeze since coronavirus spreads most easily via respiratory droplets, and avoiding close contact with people who are sick. 

Also, the US State Department has assigned China a travel advisory level of four. The State Department has issued a statement not to travel to China “due to the novel coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China.” In an effort to control and minimize the spread of the coronavirus, China has restricted air, road and train travel in many of its regions.

All in all, the biggest takeaway from my research on this outbreak is that we should be cognizant of the ways to avoid infection. The best thing to do in order to avoid infection is to follow the guidelines and rules set in place by organizations such as the World Health Organizations, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US State Department! 

Rishitha is a senior at VCU majoring in Bioinformatics, while on the pre-medical track. When she isn't in classes, she loves to binge-watch sitcoms, cook, bake, and spend time with her friends and family! In her future, she hopes to become a physician and make meaningful impacts on patients' lives!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!