This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Chocolate chip cookies are the way to everyone’s heart, or maybe just mine and everyone I know. They might just be the best cookie out there, they are a classic. However, these cookies are a vegan remix of the classic chocolate chip cookie. They taste just as good and satisfy cravings like a normal cookie would. They are thick, chewy and soft on the inside. They are also a little healthier than regular cookies. I made them for a family cookout — my extended family does not eat healthy at all and they loved the cookies. I low-key hoped there would be some cookies left over after the cookout, but they didn’t stand a chance. Everyone wanted to take some home and they didn’t have a clue that they were vegan. Give these cookies a try and you’ll change your perspective on vegan baking/cooking.

Here is what you’ll need:

• 1/2 cup unmelted coconut oil
  • 1 & 1/4 cups coconut sugar (or brown sugar if that’s all you have)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I like Himalayan pink sea salt)
  • 1 & 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1. In a large bowl fold together the coconut oil, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat these together until they are well combined. ​

2. Add the apple sauce and the coconut milk to the mix. Fold together until well combined. 

3. Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the wet mixture. Make sure everything combines nicely.

4. At this point, the batter should be thick and doughy. This is when you can add in the chocolate chips. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. 

The dough should look like this:

Honestly, the cookie dough already tastes so good that you could eat the batter alone. It’s also safe to eat because of the lack of eggs. Yum!

5. Now, roll the cookie dough into balls of whatever size cookie you would like. Mini, medium or jumbo cookies will work. Then, pop them in the oven whenever it’s done preheating.

The cookies should turn out looking like this:

This recipe is the best vegan chocolate chip recipe I’ve ever tried. The cookies turn out so thick, chewy and chocolatey. No one will be able to tell that they are vegan! 

Go get the ingredients and try this recipe out now. Your taste buds and your friends will thank you!

Photos by Jasmine Medrano-Guevara  

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!