This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For me, it’s year two studying fashion merchandising. The past two nights I had to stay up until 2 a.m., barely finishing a costume drawing assignment that I do not look forward to presenting. There are only two more weeks until Thanksgiving break and it is safe to say that I am counting the days. Today, I am questioning why art students are protective of their dreams and how the outside world does not feel supportive.

Most of the friends I met in the program have already switched majors or even transferred to experience a different more traditional college lifestyle. Being one of the few that has continued to study in this creative field has left me feeling naive. Am I putting too much hope in an unrealistic career path? By not pursuing a common major like accounting or medicine, am I putting my future at risk?

Many freshmen may pick outstanding majors that sound fun or they blindly pick because they do not know what they want to do at the beginning of their college career. By the second year, it is common for students to decide whether the initial choice they made is not for them, finally finding their true calling, or facing pressure to choose an alternative study path:

“…one reason people change majors is that somewhere along the way, someone told the student to ‘grow up.’

I remember when I told my parents as a high school senior that I was interested in studying fashion. Their reactions were hesitant. They wondered what kind of jobs would be available after graduation and if the competitiveness of the industry would be worth it. The uncertainty of success in an industry I was passionate about was a risk I was willing to take.

Unlike in math class, there is no right or wrong answer in a creative class. There is always room for improvement and uniqueness that professors ingrain in our heads. Oftentimes, we question what we are creating and why and for who! Many look at a piece of art and will never know the tears, money and time it took to complete it. Art students and creatives have always held the stereotype of not being understood. Is this something art students wear as a badge of honor?

It takes self-motivation and perseverance to be an art student which many people don’t look up to. Isolation and financial struggles are real challenges art students face. With inflation costs making grocery shopping just barely affordable, art supplies and subscriptions such as Adobe are not making the priority list anymore. Necessary costs for creating school projects make it a struggle to make ends meet, especially for financially independent students. I have friends that face the reality of choosing whether to eat dinner or save for supplies. This is an honest question some students face at the moment. Many succumb to the safe route and don’t follow their dreams to give art a chance because of this.

What sets us apart from the rest are the ever-evolving questions we must answer when we prepare for interviews for internships, careers and even in our daily classes. These looping questions can leave students feeling isolated and alone because nobody on the outside understands fully the dedication it takes. With cramped hands and eye strain we push through despite the backlash:

You’re burnt out and they laugh at you because you’re studying ‘fashion’ and apparently aren’t contributing to society.”

Whew, that was a lot of heavy content. So—what to do now?

Having friends in a similar program also creates a sense of normalcy and relatability that is essential when navigating these common challenges. Maintaining a support system is vital to succeed in the few high intensity years that is art school. But, we are not the first to go through the curriculum and we will not be the last. Embrace yourself as an art student, a creative, an out of the box thinker. You are meant to be here. 

Ariana is a fashion merchandising major and theater minor at Virginia Commonwealth University with interests in costume design and film. She is a member of the editorial team and is enthusiastic about sustainability, fashion, beauty, mental health, and current events. She loves supporting women through HC.