Wellness

Can Certain Diets Reduce Chances of Cognitive Impairment?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The other day I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and noticed an article published by CNN about how the Mediterranean diet can slow cognitive impairment. The article mentioned that this type of diet emphasized certain foods that were in the food pyramid; for instance, vegetables, fish and whole grains. This made me wonder, how do these certain foods prevent the brain from deteriorating? I know that vegetables and protein are a good source of nutrition and can especially help with the heart and lower blood pressure, but I did not know that it could have a large impact on our cognitive function as well. Additionally, it made me curious about other diets or even beverages that would aid in the prevention of cognitive impairment. 

As defined by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, cognitive impairment is when an individual loses their ability to understand, speak, make decisions or learn. The severity depends on the individual themselves, but it may sometimes lead to them not being able to live independently. Age is generally the largest risk factor for cognitive impairment, but chronic conditions and family history can impact it as well. A study done by the National Institute of Health (NIH) highlighted the relationship between dietary changes and cognitive function. Certain vitamins and antioxidants have neuroprotective properties and can aid in the development of the neuronal membrane. For example, omega-3 fatty acids are commonly found in fish, and they help preserve membrane fluidity for neurotransmitter communication. They essentially enhance a neurotransmitter’s binding capabilities, which aids in normal brain functioning. 

Salmon Lemon Bowl
Michelle Rodriguez / Spoon

The Mediterranean diet also includes garlic, which is an antioxidant that protects the brain against neurotoxins. Garlic is a food that can be added to vegetables, fish and poultry as a seasoning, and it has so many great health benefits. Another diet is also being tested in clinical trials, and it’s the DASH diet. DASH stands for “Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension,” and it encompasses high intakes of fruits, vegetables, poultry, nuts and fish. The difference between the two diets is just that DASH is more restrictive in terms of sugar and sodium intake. 

For college students I know that it may be difficult to maintain a healthy balanced diet because we are so focused on perfecting our future with internships, leadership positions and overall higher education; however, the Center for Young Women’s Health has outlined tips for college students so they can start eating healthy. There are also several blogs that showcase budget-friendly recipes for students! 

At the end of the day, it is really important to watch what we’re eating because the foods that we consume today can impact our overall health in the future. From this research, I was also able to determine that brain health correlates with heart health. If your heart is healthy, then chances are so is your brain as a lot of the risk factors overlap. Therefore, I encourage everyone to be mindful of what they are eating and to try new recipes because dietary diversity can help form new neurons and aid in brain functioning! 

Rea is a senior majoring in Biological Sciences on the Pre-Medicine track at VCU! Her favorite things include binge watching Netflix, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family! She is an advocate for women's health with hopes of becoming a physician in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!