Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

Big Decorator, Little Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you love to decorate. I don’t mean just hanging up an Ed Sheeran poster with some Christmas lights and calling it a day. I mean changing out decor every season and holiday. But, if you’re still like me, you barely have money for rent, much less buying a new wreath for every season. Luckily for you, I’m passionate about decorating and saving money and I’m here to help with these three steps. 

Step One: Go to Dollar Tree, but with caution

Dollar Tree is a glorious place full of decor, but remember that you are only paying a dollar, so the quality usually isn’t there. I like to buy small glass decor (like the pumpkins pictured) and hanging signs (also pictured.) The signs are great wall-fillers or door hangers and can be easily changed out. Make sure to stay away from the garland though. Dollar Tree garland lacks volume and is very cheaply made. My suggestion is to use step two for garland.

Step Two: DIY is key!

It may take a little longer, but the money saved is magical! I made the garland pictured below for three dollars and I didn’t have to settle for anything that I wasn’t in love with. Don’t let the picture fool you though, as I was able to make about 8 feet of this stuff.

Besides garland, another easy project is making a statement vase. This is just filling a vase with some sort of filler (leaves, Christmas ornaments, Easter eggs, etc) and using it as a centerpiece on a table or counter. I like decorating with these because you get to choose if you want more of a statement or less, depending on where you are putting it and what the rest of your decor looks like. You can add flowers or leaf bunches if you choose to, or leave the vase with just the filler and add a bow. Either way, it will be cute.

Lastly, another DIY that I love is canvas painting. Before you freak out, I am not artistic at all, so I have lots of tips for those of you whose talents don’t lie with art. One thing that I love is painting a base layer, sticking a decal or stencil on it when it is dry, and then painting over the decal or stencil and peeling it off. Add some glitter and then boom! Art. This works for every season and holiday because you can buy or make stencils of anything, so the possibilities are endless. 

Step three: Decorate your front door

This is important because not everyone goes inside your home, but loads of people see your door. Whether you live in a dorm, apartment or house, you can decorate your door. It can be something simple like a holiday doormat and a wreath (DIY) or you can go all out with garland around the frame, Christmas lights or a jack-o-lantern beside the door. The only problem here would be people stealing. My suggestion is that if you don’t trust your neighbors, don’t put out anything extravagant or of any sentimental value. 

A few other tips I want to add would be to buy after-season clearance sale items, splurge and get that cute sign from HomeGoods if you really want it and incorporate things that you already own into your decor and DIY projects. Such as candles, vases or twine/ribbon. Decorating is whatever you want it to be, and you can make your home look exactly how you want it to even if you are on a budget. So get up and make the place you live your own!

Photo credit: Kristen Pippin

Kristen is a senior with a major in Elementary School Education. She loves to read, camp, and hang out with her two dogs and awesome husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!