This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Q: Where do I go when I am sick/injured or have a tooth ache/cavity? Are there school nurses/doctors or dentists that I can see? How do I see them (by appointment or walk-in)? Is the service free or can my insurance help pay for it?

Getting medical care on campus is actually really simple! Student Health Services is the way to go. Student Health is located right next to the Siegel Center, on 1300 W. Broad Street. They treat all kinds of injuries/sicknesses. The center provides immunizations, allergy shots, mental health needs, travel health care, women’s health and they’ll see you for things like a basic cold, or a UTI. Basically, they’ve got you covered. They’ve even got laboratory services for tests, and an on-site pharmacy.

Cost wise, as long as you are a full time VCU student, the price of utilizing student health is included in your admission fees. You will still need insurance for things like medicine and specific medical tests. However, they do offer a Student Health Insurance Policy to pay for other medical expenses such as medicine and emergency room visits, if you do not have another form of insurance.

It is really simple to make an appointment. On the Student Health Services website, there is a portal that will help you make an appointment specific to your needs. You can also call (804) 828-8828 to make an appointment.

Although the school does not offer dental care through Student Health Services, there are alternatives! VCU being the stellar medical school that it is has a VCU Dental Student Practice. Graduate dental students are supervised by faculty, and see patients for a small fee of $75. They offer a Student-to-Student dental plan for a $350 annual fee. According to the website, you can receive up to 80 percent off of cleanings, exams and X-rays, and 60 percent off of basic restorative treatment, such as fillings. For more information, or to make an appointment, you can call (804) 828-9190.

I hope this information helps! The links to both Student Health Services, and VCU Dental Student Practice are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.students.vcu.edu/health/

http://www.vcudentalcare.com/practices/student

Q: No Shave November: how do I make it stop before it gets to far?

November is almost over, and with it will go unshaven beards and stubbly legs. Unless of course those people choose to continue not shaving which, honestly, is their decision. If your significant other or close friend is participating in No-Shave-November, you can tell them nicely that you don’t like the unshaven look (because what else are real friends for except blunt honesty?). But you also have to recognize that what people do with their body hair is their business. If your boyfriend wants to keep his scratchy beard, be honest (but kind) about how you feel about it and if he still wants to keep it, support him. I’m sure you don’t want your s/o telling you what to do with your hair. Maybe you could gift him with some conditioner or beard oil to make it softer and tamer. And give the beard a chance; if it can make Gosling hotter (which is basically impossible!), maybe it can do the same for your bae.

Q: Why are so many of the groups at the SMC so hostile to outsiders? I wanted to write for the school paper, but was really put off by their attitude and how they treated newcomers. Are any other outlets better?

The hardest part of joining any organization is feeling like an outsider. People in the SMC and those who work on the school paper likely already know each other well and have developed a comfort level with each other. If you want to get involved, I’d encourage you to pursue the organization you’re interested in, ask questions and get to know people. Many of the media outlets have deadlines and there is always a hesitancy when it comes to new members because your commitment to meeting your deadlines isn’t known yet. As you make an effort to show you really care about the organization you’ll start to feel more comfortable and they will feel more confident in your abilities. With any organization, reach out, get to know those involved. Talk to members because chances are they’ll know what you’re going through and know how to help you get acclimated.

Have a question? We want to help! Submit your questions anonymously here!

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Jessica is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at VCU, a Chapter Advisor and a retired Campus Expansion Assistant. She will graduate in May 2017, earning Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies. Her core areas of study include photography, journalism and media studies. In addition to school and her work with Her Campus, Jessica works at her university library as an information associate.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!