This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Shopping for an apartment was one of the most bizzare and stressful things that I’ve ever done, but it was also so mind-blowingly cool. Stepping into an apartment building knowing that I might possibly live there instead of my current home was unreal. I was unprepared for how much work it would be, so I’m writing this in hopes that I’ll be able to help out the next person who decides to take on the huge task of appartment shopping.

Make Charts and Take Notes!

You may not take notes regularly, but it is a must when searching for the perfect apartment. I toured at least 10 buildings and toured that many or more online. That is a lot of information to consume. I decided to make a chart with the apartment name, the rent, what was included in the rent, what I loved, what I hated and the distance from campus. I chose what was most important to me, but you could choose parking, floor-plan, whether of not furniture is included or whatever else could be a deal-breaker for you! Having a concise chart helps you to see everything in one place and helps you to rule out the worst and focus on the best. 

Erase The Word “Perfect” From Your Mind

You will not find a perfect apartment. I thought I would, so I continued to say “no” to apartments just because of tiny details. Floors too creaky? That’s a no from me. Not pet-friendly? Well, even though my pets live with parents, still a no. This happened at every apartment I went into until I looked at the last one and realized I had to choose between all of the non-perfect places. The best advice I have for this is to make a list of deal-breakers and stick to it. Only choose the most important “nopes,” and do not add to the list once you start looking at places! If you start adding, you won’t stop, so just don’t do it. Also, I promise the small details won’t ruin your life. I didn’t like that my apartment had cement floors at first. But then, I realized it was easy to clean and I got to pick out all of my rugs. One of the things I didn’t like turned out to be a blessing!

Safety is Key!

Don’t get yourself into an unsafe situation just to save a few bucks. Honestly, don’t even look at apartments in unsafe areas. Your safety is far more important than having a few extra bucks every month to spend on pizza, trust me. First, make sure the location is good. Second, make sure there is some sort of outside security in place, like a code or key-fob to get in the main door. Third, try to live somewhere with front desk workers (bonus points if they are 24/7.) My last point is more privacy than safety, but make sure your mail is secured. You don’t want to get your mail shipped to a place where they just throw it all into a bin. Make sure there is door-delivery or front desk delivery and secure mailboxes. Don’t let your packages get kidnapped!

Finding your first apartment is a huge step in life and I want you to do your best to find a place that is well-suited to you! Don’t fret if you kinda hate where you live. It’s not permanent and you can always move next year. It’s important to just be thankful that you have a place to live and that you get to call it your own! Good luck!

Kristen is a senior with a major in Elementary School Education. She loves to read, camp, and hang out with her two dogs and awesome husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!