This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Breakouts are such a buzz kill, always showing up unannounced and uninvited. We all can agree they are just the worst. While some acne is hormonal and genetic, there are a few simple things you can do to prevent acne and promote healthy skin.

1. Your Pillowcase is Filthy

Do you know how much bacteria is built-up on your pillowcase? Your hair is, in fact, the dirtiest part of your body, and after a full day, all those toxins transfer to your pillowcase. Then you repeat the same process, over and over again. Oils, makeup, sweat and hair products get trapped onto the fibers and plastered back onto your face the next night. To avoid this, it is suggested that you should wash your pillowcase every two days.

2. Get Your Beauty Sleep

Now that your pillowcase is clean, you should hang out in that bed for at least seven hours (preferably eight). The skin’s repair process begins during the sleep cycle, additionally, those who are sleep-deprived accumulate more stress, in turn causing even more breakouts. Try and sleep on your back if you can, allowing your skin to “breathe” during the night.

3. Stressed 

Stress increases the body’s production of hormones (like cortisol), which in turn generates more oil production and lowers the skin’s ability to fight off blemish-inciting bacteria, leading to breakout city. If you’re a college student, you’re in a high-stress environment nonstop, so it is important to take the time to pause and do some yoga, deep breathing exercises or meditation. The re-centering of self will help decrease stress-related acne and give you a clear and present mind as well. Additionally, exercising regularly is excellent for keeping skin vibrant and healthy by increasing blood flow; remember to wash right after too so sweat and oils don’t get trapped in your pores.

4. Moisturizer, a Must

It is important to know that moisturizer does not actually moisturize the skin. Yes, that’s right, it locks in pre-existing moisture, providing a barrier so the water cannot evaporate. Because of this, you should be moisturizing immediately after the shower, wait no longer than three minutes to apply your moisturizer. Look for only those that do not contain oil, are non-comedogenic (proven to not clog pores) and contain some SPF in them. Virgin coconut oil is an excellent alternative to traditional moisturizers as it has incredible health benefits and is far more cost effective. Your moisturizer is your skin’s shield, protecting it from the harmful world it is regularly exposed to and for that reason, it is one of the most important steps in your daily routine.

5. Drink Up

Water is so important to your health for a plethora of reasons, including keeping skin moisturized from the inside out. It is the last organ to receive the nutrients from water so it is important to drink several glasses a day to ensure your skin is at its best every day. Additionally, consider adding green tea to your diet; loaded with health benefits, it is particularly great for its anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce redness and blotchiness. Critically, it is best served cold as hot beverages can sometimes worsen redness.

6. Grocery List

We are what we eat, so if you’re only putting junk in your body, generally speaking, your skin will reflect that. Try to sub as many drinks for water as possible and skip the heavily processed foods. Avoid dairy, especially skim milk and cottage cheese, as they are linked to more outbreaks, and cow’s milk is just generally not great for you. Try to incorporate foods that contain silica, a compound that is found in abundance among children but then slowly fades with age. It is silica that is responsible for the silky-smooth hair and “baby-soft” skin and can be found in bananas, high bran cereal, whole grain bread, raisins, raw carrots and brown rice to name a few. Some mineral waters like FIJI contain silica as well, helping hair become fuller and stronger naturally.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Bekah is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University, majoring in English with minors in Political Science, Philosophy and Creative Writing. She enjoys the ever-changing world of fashion and modeling, diving into those interests on her blog (cvltvre.us). Her passion for hockey juxtaposes her femininity as she is a die-hard Caps fan. Find her on Instagram (@bekkkkkssss) and Twitter (@bekahacarlson).
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!