This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Life lessons can come from the most unexpected of places. When I started watching the Netflix series “Queer Eye,” I pretty much expected to be watching a new version of “What Not to Wear.” Little did I know that what I was about to start watching would be full of heartwarming stories of growth and life lessons that could be applied to anyone watching…

1. It’s never too late to make a change.

In the very first episode of Season One, 57-year-old Tom continuously says, “You can’t fix ugly.” It is sad to hear this from such a wonderful human being, and the Fab Five do their best to show Tom that it is what is on the inside that counts, and that it is never too late to make a change. Jonathan tells Tom, “When people say ‘you can’t teach an old dog new tricks’ it’s not true, because you can reinvent yourself and learn new things whenever you want.” If you are thinking of reinventing yourself or trying something new, but you feel like it’s already too late, don’t think that way! Listen to Jonathan and go forth and make that change!

2. Keep an open mind.

Even the Fab Five feel closed off from people sometimes. From Bobby’s struggle to feel comfortable around a church in the Ms. Tammye Episode, to Karamo’s apprehension about dealing with a police officer in Cory’s episode, we see the Fab Five struggle with their own personal experiences. Each of these episodes shows Bobby and Karamo work through their fears, and each each ends up having a beautiful experience of growth and learning. If you are worried about an upcoming experience, take some inspiration from Bobby and Karamo and go into it with an open mind.

3. Don’t be afraid to seek help!

Many of the people who get made over by the Fab Five know that it is time for a change, but have been afraid to ask for help. The Fab Five are uplifting and supportive, and they show everyone that there is strength in asking for help. Whether it’s with a specific task, mental health, an aspect of life or anything else, know that asking for help is a sign of strength, and never be afraid to reach out.

4. Style Vs. Fashion

Tan has taught us many important style tips, from getting dressed up to show that you respect yourself, to the oh so important French tuck, but one of his biggest messages is about the difference in style and fashion. As Tan says, “fashion is not trendy after a season… Style is dressing the way that you feel confident.” Who cares what the current trend is? Wear what makes you feel like a million bucks!

5. Allow yourself to be vulnerable.

Sometimes we fear letting others in, and we can put up walls to keep ourselves from getting hurt. While letting people in can be scary, closing ourselves off from emotions and other people can hold us back from amazing things in life. As Jonathan says, “You can’t selectively numb feeling. If you try to numb the vulnerability, you also numb joy, happiness, connection. You can’t have connection, joy and happiness without vulnerability.” Allow yourself to be vulnerable and see the amazing connections that are waiting for you.

6. Self-care is important!

Throughout every episode of Queer Eye, the guys teach their mentees the importance of taking care of themselves. From single guys who have let their self-care fall to the wayside, to Ms. Tammye who is too busy taking care of everyone else at her church, the Fab Five teach each of their mentees to take part of each day for themselves. When Neal, from episode two, tells Antoni that cooking for one is depressing, Antoni says, “My goal is to change your mind on that. You can take care in making something as easy as this, or scrambled eggs, an omelet, whatever it is. It’s just a matter of maintenance.” Doing something for just yourself isn’t sad or selfish. It is taking care of yourself and taking pride in yourself.

Next time you’re feeling down, just think to yourself: WWTFFD, What Would The Fab Five Do?

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Garnette Ransone is a Masters of Teaching student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all bad jokes, brunch and finding any excuse she can to wear glitter. You can usually find her at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts or travelling the East Coast to see her favorite bands.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!